I found the rattle!!!

After spending most of last Saturday buried upto my armpits in Octy dashboard, I failed to find the rattle which intermittantly drove me crazy since I got it. I almost lost the spring for the ashtray mechanism in the process :o

Then on Sunday, I jumped into the car, let off the handbrake - and as I released the handbrake button, I figured out what the rattle was...... Over rough abrasive road surfaces, the button on the handbrake was vibrating off the casing in the handle. :)

Now all I have to do is figure how to stop the sodding thing vibrating...... a amall piece of one-sided foam tape perhaps? :confused:

hehe mine was rattling on the way home from work the other day.. coming from the driver side in the back, was driving me nuts... realised i'd not pressed the door lock button, and bang.. stopped.. turned out to be the door lock button in the rear of the car!! lol.

Over rough abrasive road surfaces' date=' the button on the handbrake was vibrating off the casing in the handle. :)

Now all I have to do is figure how to stop the sodding thing vibrating...... a amall piece of one-sided foam tape perhaps? :confused:[/quote']

You have my sympathy mine did the same thing, only on any surface, drove me mad! My dealer replaced the whole handbrake under warranty - I take it yours is outside warranty?

Just bought an octavia estate the other week, and experienced the same thing as you. I thought up a quick and dirty fix on this. Took a small piece of paper and folded it a couple of times, then slided it on the underside of the button so its not visible. No rattling now. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same problem last year - annoying rattle around dashboard area which i stumbled across accidently - Dealers replaced full handbrake assembly under warranty :thumbup:

Taking mine in next week to sort out annoying squeeks (anti roll bar bushes).