Got My Superb Today!

I've been a long time admirer of the Superb from basically as soon as the MK1 arrived, but work commitments over the past 7 or so years meant I had to have a people carrier, but that changed today. One of the reasons behind my admiration of Skoda at least was the fact my wife's last 4 cars have all been Skoda's. She has had a Fabia, Fabia Estate, Octaivia 1.6 and now she is currently in a Octavia 1.4 TSi on a 60 plate.

I went on a mission today accompanied by my youngest son, 4 year old Lucas, to go and get my 10 Reg Superb 2.0 TDi 140BHP Elegance from Cwmbran in Wales. We live near Gatwick Airport and as I had sold my people carrier the day before we went by train to go and get it, hence the reason my son desperately wanted to come, he loves trains.

Although I've been an admirer for quite a while, today was the first time I had properly sat in one and definitely the first time I've driven one, and I have to say I loved it. The ride is so smooth and comfortable, compared to my old Alhambra it is so responsive and powerful yet averaged out at something like 55mpg on the journey back to Gatwick. I've only had it about 12 hours and I can already say it's the best car I've ever owned.

Already come across my first couple of minor problems.

Firstly, the car had been sat at the dealership for quite a while, possibly 3 months looking at the documentation supplied, and the brake disc's had rusted quite heavily. Driving away from the dealership meant using roads that were either 30 or 40 mph and braking was minimal and I didn't notice anything untoward. Hitting the M4 meant speeds now got up to 70 odd mph but the need to hit the brakes didn't really happen until about 45 miles had passed but when it did I was in for a bit of a shock with the shuddering braking action and the vibration that came up through the car along with the noise. Needless to say I was instantly worried and got off at the next exit and phoned the dealership, but not before having a look at the brakes through the alloys. It was easy to see the corrosion and come to the conclusion that it was the cause of the problem. Still called the dealership though to make a note of it should it not just wear off over the coming days of use. Having got back to Gatwick it's nowhere near as bad as that first time it happened, so I hope it'll be completely gone by the end of the weekend.

Second, the bluetooth. Seems my 2010 reg has the old bluetooth module in it as it won't pair up with my old HTC Desire. It'll find it but says it's incompatible. Slightly disgruntled by it as I work in my car as a chauffeur, so having hands free capabilities via the car would be great, but then I could be as equally annoyed at Android for not using RSAP. Having read other sections of the forum I believe I can change that bluetooth box to allow it to connect to any Hands Free phone, so I may well look in to that, will certainly check the model number of my box in the morning just to make sure I have the old one.

Anyway, sorry to waffle, glad I finally took the jump to the Superb, and glad I found this place, think it's gonna help me no end in keeping informed about my motor :-)

Welcome! I, too, switched from an MPV to a Superb, and was astonished by the mpg with the 140CR engine. I guess it all comes down to aerodynamics, and it's easier to make a long saloon aerodynamic than a brick-like MPV.

Stuart

Thanks for the welcome.

Even having driven it for only parts of the last 24 hours I can already see how economic it is against my old Alhambra. Been doing some round the town stuff today and the average mpg settled at about 42mpg. The Alhambra would have to be on the motorway for about 10-15 miles at 65 mph to average out at about the same.

I think I'm gonna like the reduced fuel bill :-)

For the bluetooth issue see this website...

http://www.android-rsap.com/

I have no experience of this but just from what I've read due previously considering HTC phones...I believe you have to modify your phone but the above site will lead you to HTC instructions on how to do this.

Thanks for the link, will look into that. Might just be brave enough to try rooting my phone in order to do it, although there is a safety net should I brick my phone, is that I only have one month left on my current phone contract so I can get a new one soon enough.

Thinking along those lines, is there a list of modern/new RSAP enabled phones?

Thanks for the link, will look into that. Might just be brave enough to try rooting my phone in order to do it, although there is a safety net should I brick my phone, is that I only have one month left on my current phone contract so I can get a new one soon enough.

Thinking along those lines, is there a list of modern/new RSAP enabled phones?

It seems the available RSAP phones are dying out. All top end Nokias had it, so I wrongly assumed my new Lumia would too. Nope. Luckily my Superb has the later unit, but my other cars have RSAP only systems!

Ah well, guess I'll either update my bluetooth box or upgrade to an Android that seems to have an easy Rooting procedure.....my HTC Desire struggles to even communicate with my PC let alone communicate with Rooting software.

Thanks Jigger. Yeah it is a big gamble, but partially calculated as well. At the end of the day its just had it's second birthday 3 days ago and has only done 35000 miles, so its a mere baby with enough warranty left to cover me for unexpected problems over the next 25000 miles, as I'll cover that before the year is up being a chauffeur, in fact I'll probably be out of warranty mileage-wise by May/June next year.

It's something I've done with my last two cars. Went to Clacton-on-Sea for one and Bury St Edmonds for the other, neither car was seen, other than pictures, until I arrived at the garage. I see no problem in travelling miles to get a bit of a bargain, and they seem to be getting further away with each car, as long as there is some cover for me (warranty) should things go slightly pear shaped.

It seems the available RSAP phones are dying out. All top end Nokias had it, so I wrongly assumed my new Lumia would too. Nope. Luckily my Superb has the later unit, but my other cars have RSAP only systems!

Android 4.0.4 has brought it back. My SGS2 has just had the official update applied and now connects again using RSAP on my Superb, although my car does have the Bluetooth module that allows non-RSAP pairing too.