damp & mould in a rear footwell- possible causes/implications?

jim_beau

Hi all,

Looked at a Yeti with damp & mould growing in a rear footwell under an overmat - are there any known causes for this?

Could it be water penetration somehow? from where? what to check ?

or something else ? e.g. I did notice the air con outlets are just in front of that area under the front seat, but it really was pretty damp - enough for fungus to grow & spread under the overmat....mmm

Anything else to consider about it should I fancy a haggle?

Cheers

Jim

Hi - not an expert but have read several reports of damp due to blocked drainage vents from sunroof. Basically, have you got a sunroof? Put 'sunroof' into the search and be prepared for a 'deluge' of reports!!

Hi - not an expert but have read several reports of damp due to blocked drainage vents from sunroof. Basically, have you got a sunroof? Put 'sunroof' into the search and be prepared for a 'deluge' of reports!!

Hi

no sunroof :(

yeah cheers I had seen loadsa threads abt sunroof drains but also mainly seemed to be affecting front footwells?

another mentions a cracked pipe feeding the rear wash wipe juice.... where does that run exactly? drivers side or pass side?

anyone know if the carpets be successfully cleaned of fungus? will it always tend to be a minger? :rofl:

Is the carpet in one piece for the seating floorpan or in a series of sections? just pondering what it might cost to remedy properly....

Cheers

Jim

Water tends to come in through the front and notice at the back first as the carpet is thinner.

Two possible causes I can think of. There is a TPi on a water guide around the intake for the heater box, however this is quite a small chassis range. Other known issue is the a/c drain on the bottom of the heater box can be put on twisted.

hi

seem to be having quoting issues - soz-

Tech1e - is that a defo a Yeti trait - the water migrating to the rear from the front wells and showing up in the back first?

I am no expert tho when i was looking at the area under the front seat (i.e. with front seat slid completely forward) there is quite a chunky carpeted "cross member" running from sill to centre tunnel tanding an inch or two above the floor... the air con outlet vents are shaped (squashed) flat to get over it (I think :think:)

can water be getting past that under the carpets?

& where's the heater box located?

cheers

Jim

Thanks Tech1e :thumbup:

What's the correct procedure to deal with all this after the source of the leak is sorted?

How long does it all take to sort out properly? (& how much would it cost if I had to pay?)

Car is a 61 plater - presumably if it were caused by a/c drain being twisted it would be a warranty job?

Are there any causes that would leave ME with the bill for sorting it?

Cheers

Jim

PS what's a TPi?

Edited by jim_beau

Thanks Tech1e :thumbup:

What's the correct procedure to deal with all this after the source of the leak is sorted?

How long does it all take to sort out properly? (& how much would it cost if I had to pay?)

Car is a 61 plater - presumably if it were caused by a/c drain being twisted it would be a warranty job?

Are there any causes that would leave ME with the bill for sorting it?

Cheers

Jim

PS what's a TPi?

Sorry a TPi is a bulletin for the workshop. I forget sometimes when typing fast and use technical terms.

As for the repair it should be covered by your warranty regardless of if it's AC or rain water providing its a manufacturing defect.

Usually a couple of days. I like to strip, dry out fully and refit.

Only one I've ever had one that that wasn't warranty and that was from some fudged non gen tow bar wiring through the bulkhead.

But it's only guess work, car needs to be diagnosed of course.

thanks again for all this gen Tech1e :thumbup:

As regards diagnosis - Can you give me a quick run thru of what a Skoda dealer should be doing when presented with a mouldy rear footwell? what to check? what to dismantle, take out etc to assess properly?

Any Skoda Procedure/Tech numbers I can casually drop into conversations? that sort of thing would be most useful.

All would be a real help in trying to coax em to do it properly rather than just clean the carpet :thumbdown:

If I PM you the reg somehow could you tell me anything about the car from your systems?

If I buy it and it turns out it ain't fixed where do I find you? ;>)

Cheers again

Jim

I won't get into their diagnosis, nor can I post specifics about bulletins as they change quite often and my posts won't.

However depending on their equipment they might water test it. But at least I'd say it needs carpets pulling up to see what's what.

Hi all,

Plumber - unsure if had a new screen - any way to check simply/visually?

Tech1e - how hard is it to check under the front footwell carpet? I will be doing that either at the dealers or asap after if I buy it

Anyone - if the reg is put into a skoda dealer computer will it tell me stuff I should be aware of? And would a skoda service dept do that for me?

Thanks guys

Jim

It's easy enough to check, just need to unclip the sill trim.

However it might just be from where the car has been cleaned?

Mm they've had it a while & I find it hard to understand why only one footwell is affected - if by cleaning why only this one hasn't dried out in the period since valet? All footwells have mats in...

Istr that wet rot fungi need regular watering to stay alive else they dry & go dormant if not die - that would point to a regular supply of water from somewhere... Hence my interest in making some checks.

Looking forward under the pass seat at the cross member we talked abt b4 - where does the water make it's way through from front to back footwell?

Cheers

Jim

Tech1e - one last one please:-

Looking forward under the pass seat at the cross member we talked abt b4 - where does the water make it's way through from front to back footwell?

Cheers

Jim

See post 7 above

See post 7 above

Hi, are you familiar with the structure we are referring to?

I'd like to know if water flows under it unobstructed over its full width? or are there key apertures where it is "funnelled" or "gathers" due to the shape of the floor pan or the way the cross member is attached....

Cheers

Jim K

It would be very unusual for a cross-floor cross member to be welded continuously, it is more likely to be spot-welded and to "bridge" any strengthening folds in the floor pan.

Can't blow the picture in #7 up enough to check.