SDI water pump leak.....

I did the cambelt on OH's SDI recently so changed the waterpump as a matter of course. A friend had recently done his caddy with parts fromt he same supplier and had a problem with the pump leaking but wasn't sure if the mechanic had pinched the seal (unlikely imo) but with this in mind I was extremely careful fitting it and made sure everythign was spotless before assembly!

Got underneath today to take pics of the steering rack so I can order the correct steering arm and notiiced some moisture on the bottom of the pulley wheel cover. Yep seemms the new waterpump seal is leaking! Well chuffed....not!

I'm now wondering if they have a duff batch of seals or if this is a known issue? A quick google didnt reveal anything obvious.

Needless to say the supplier will limit their liability to replacing the water pump which leaves me a couple of questions.

Should I renew the belt and tensioner kit again, or should I just renew the belt? Should I even reuse the belt?

Mileage on the new one circa 3k miles tops. It shows no signs of contamination by the water/coolant by the way.

There is even the slight possibility but one I'm not overly keen on of popping a bottle of barrs leaks in the system to see if it cures it. Reluctant to do this given some peoples distaste of the stuff and also in case it just cures it temporarily.

Any thoughts guys?

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this up a little. I don;t want to use the yucky barrs leaks or rad weld, but I have been recommeded some stuff called K-seal. I've had a google and it seems to get pretty good reviews. The nay sayers were trying to deal rotten core plugs mostly by the looks of it. I'm wondering if anyone has experience of it? I'm thinking for under a tenner it might just seal my weeping o-ring a treat!