Honeymoon period quickly coming to an end

Hello All

Honeymoon period coming quickly to an end with my 170 elegance

Sat on a hot day in traffic for a couple of hours with aircon on - next morning engine light and exhaust light on, lacking power. Had it diagnosed, some auxiliary cooling pump's knackered. Less than 35k on the clock! Rubbish

Was driving in a spirited fashion at 3am on a great A road the other night and noticed that it's impossible to have any fun in this barge. I realise that loss of traction causes a cut in power unless I've overridden the stability/traction system, but even when cresting a gentle hill the power is cut as the car goes down the dip on the other side. No loss of traction, as can replicate even when tickling the throttle in 6th. Overriding the system makes no difference. Quite disconcerting that for a second or two I've no power

Anybody else experienced this? It's as if it's a safety system cutting fuel as if it thinks I'm about to crash

Trying to ascertain if this is normal or not

Sam

Its big car and it's made for comfort. You should probably have gone for the V6 and it's different handling characteristics if you wanted more fun...... How unfortunate about the pump, probably covered by your waranty? :)

For real fun I stick with two wheels :-)

The big girl handles just fine for what it is, and I appreciate it's built for comfort, but I should be able to enjoy the undulations of a nice road, especially when I'm hardly on the gas

This cut in power happens on any undulating road at any gear at any revs as the car comes down the other side of a crest. Does it whether my foot's hard into the throttle or just touching it

Can't recall my other Superb doing it, nor my Octavia or Fabia - or any other VAG group motors

I think the stealer's done something to it when they 'fixed' the other problem!

Going anywhere near them fills me with dread

When I bought this one, the 'sales professional' told me categorically that the Columbus didn't have a hard drive - despite me pulling up the menu that showed free space available. Even better, when on a test drive I enquired exactly how the tyre pressure monitor worked, he told me that that button was to reset the warning when the washer fluid runs low!!

Monkeys

Got it!

It's a sensor in the door linked to the airbags, that activates under negative G according to the guys on the Octy forum. Plenty of them have experienced it

Seems it requires a very specific type of hump / crest / hill for it to do it, and it's nothing to do with getting near the grip threshold for the ESP to kick in

If you do any form of response driver training / riding, you're taught to get on the power at the point of negative G to settle the car. Seems driving properly is not possible in Skoda's fitted with this type of safety system ;-) Turning off ESP doesn't stop it happening

Surprised nobody on here's noticed it as it feels like you're disconnected from the car for a couple of seconds

I've done a few "brisk" journeys now, across country like on A & B and never noticed it, they were over the Cotswolds so plenty of crests & dips. Perhaps my DSG overcomes it or masks it?

Got it!

It's a sensor in the door linked to the airbags, that activates under negative G according to the guys on the Octy forum. Plenty of them have experienced it

Seems it requires a very specific type of hump / crest / hill for it to do it, and it's nothing to do with getting near the grip threshold for the ESP to kick in

If you do any form of response driver training / riding, you're taught to get on the power at the point of negative G to settle the car. Seems driving properly is not possible in Skoda's fitted with this type of safety system ;-) Turning off ESP doesn't stop it happening

Surprised nobody on here's noticed it as it feels like you're disconnected from the car for a couple of seconds

I get exactly the same thing in my Passat

There's a very specific point on my commute where I go over a crest, down a dip and up a hill the other side. As I go down the dip the car loses power for a second. Does it every time, and even the wife has noticed it so it's not even driver related. It's quite disconcerting at first but now I'm used to it I just lift off the accelerator and it's less noticeable.