Dave's Fabia 1.4 16v

Goblin

I had a Y plate 16v elegance.. That had a flip key..... a 3 button one too.. I could pop my boot open from it.. It also has ASR.

I'm confused, I maybe remembering it wrong, or the picture's misleading..... but is your glove box door black?

They've could've changed it, I've seen one or two flip keys knocking about on ebay when getting my new one, but didn't want to risk it incase they didn't programme well. I'm happy enough with two buttons, they do the job. My (mum's) Polo didn't even have central locking so this is just pure luxury to me :D

And yes the glove box lid is black, if I can get a beige one I probably will, just so it all matches up. Going to put LED bulbs in the boot and glove box too, may look at doing some foot well lights too at some point

Make sure you run it on something like Shell V Power - they don't like RON95. You could look at a K&N induction kit too for not a lot of money? I've not got one but my mate's 1.4 Polo with the same engine has a lovely engine note with one of them on and then just make sure everything engine wise is nice and clean as it'll burn fuel better, making the most of what it's got.

yeah but yano when u put a k& n on

dont the car become really thirsty?

thanks

If you're that worried about the car being thirsty then I would seriously reconsider getting more power out of the engine. They're not the best for fuel economy as it stands but squeezing more power out is really going to impact badly on the economy.

And anyway. A K&N won't make the car use more fuel. The car will inject the same ammount of fuel in it will just mean that there is slightly less restriction on the air coming into the engine.

Phil

• 2 months later...

Quick update, not much really been going on with it (mainly due to money!)

Thought I'd give anthracite alloys a go on a trip to Aberdeen. Looked alright, just a shame the rest of the car followed suit

IMG_1983_zps4a31a53c.jpg

New 3 button key programmed, works a treat and no vag com required to get the boot pop to work :)

C391B416-E1F3-45E6-910A-4A3008A2C469-765-00000055EF3D1AB4_zps1a6fefd4.jpg

The stubby aerial I bought was crap too, so got myself a Polo 6R - works and looks much better

IMG_2107_zps36a38624.jpg

Keeping on top of the car's appetite for oil :( (it's the details that count!)

IMG_2242_zps7c75cb9c.jpg

And I finally got some leds in the sidelights too, no canbus errors with these (I swapped the interior light ones with the canbus issue ones) And yes that Clio really was parked!

IMG_2243_zps41ad95c2.jpg

Next up is a personal reg plate considering that one's 1 digit off TURD, and many friends have had the marker pens out! It'll also remove years of age off the car (for those not in the know) which is always a nice bonus. Next pay day once Christmas is out of the way I'll be looking at a new pair of headlights too, has anyone got any pics of a silver furby with the black headlight inners? I'm not fussed about splitting and painting, I'm just going to buy as the lenses on these are beyond buffing the oxidisation off. I'm also liking the looks of those purple / green / blue indicator bulbs instead of detangoing, same for the rears. Can't remember the particular bulb name to be honest!

Also going to be looking at a bluetooth stereo and then a centre arm rest with integration for an iPhone 5 some point soon too. I keep thinking of little things just to make it a bit better :)

• Like 1

:D when i first saw the plate i thought 'that nearly spells TURD'.

Looks good, I sometimes miss my old 16V, shame it sounded terrible! I think my oil got a bit low once and then with 89K Miles on the clock she didnt like it too much!

I think the hydraulic tappets had gone :( Shame they couldnt get the reliability of the 1.4 MPI OHV engine with the power of this engine. Would make quite a nice combo :D

I would be interested to hear how you 16V sounds, with a standard filter and with a K&N filter if you do decide to go down that route.

• Like 1

:D The first thing people usually comment on is the plate, followed by that it doesn't look like a 12 year old car.

I do love it though and now I'm running it purely on v power, the oil consumption does appear to have slowed down which is nice. I probably won't bother with a K&N to be honest, it's quick enough and sounds alright too. And yes, MPi reliability with 16 would be nice, that said, at the time 101bhp was a lot to get out of a 1.4 at the time so it's hardly surprising.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing new really, rear wiper has started to play up again, basically it comes on on its own accord every now and again, and it's really has to get the damned thing to stop. Now I've noticed that on a wet day, when I open the boot, water is getting in, so I reckon the motor's got wet as I know it shouldn't soak me / the boot.

Finally got this though:

dda122cd70ed953f9c76d6deafc9449e_zpsa6aa8697.jpg

Looks much better and much harder to make it say turd :D

• Like 1

To ALL the posters on this thread who want to get more power from their 1.4 16v..........

Firstly run on shell Vpower only

secondly fit NGK Iridium tipped spark plugs (ABT fitted these to their 140 BHP converstion kit for this engine)

thirdly fit a set of Magnacor race leads (KV 8.5 type)

fourthly Fit a Remus back box.

Fifthly fit a Green cotton or K&N replacement panel filter........or if you are prepared to make and spend £200 as well in parts then build a proper (way better than any off the shelf kit) Cold air induction kit like I did!

also use better gearbox oil like Millers motorsport gearbox oil.........

B)

• Like 1

Oooh I'll keep those in consideration, I'm already running on V power due to the oil consumption issues (does seem to have improved things!) What oil would you recommend, I'm currently using Castrol Edge 5/30

Oooh I'll keep those in consideration, I'm already running on V power due to the oil consumption issues (does seem to have improved things!) What oil would you recommend, I'm currently using Castrol Edge 5/30

I have always used Mobil 1, 0w40 grade......no problems..........and very good for cold starts!!!

• Like 2

I found after I ran my car on 5W30 it (halfrauds told me to use 5W30) sounded horrible (like a SDI) then i ran it on 5W30 edge and it still sounded the same! but i do miss my old fabia some times :/

Just Quickly Fabdavrav what effect would making those mods have on the performance? Better throttle response/less pinking or is that only achievable with a remap?

Just Quickly Fabdavrav what effect would making those mods have on the performance? Better throttle response/less pinking or is that only achievable with a remap?

way better throttle response.....also pulls better.....and head butts the rev limiter with ease and without sounding strained!!!!!

I recon I got about 20bhp more....defo 15bhp minimum.....

OK ...no rolling road to prove......BUT>>>

there is a member on this forum who has an ABT tunned 1.4 16v with 140bhp

All that ABT did was fit a better replacement air filter, NGK iridium plugs, better ignition leads, new cams, and a remap!

As ABT won't do lumpy engines the cams are not "wild"...........and a remap/cams on a nat asp won't just give you 40bhp!!!...so the leads/plugs do quite abit!!!

Also consider that the 1.6lt version of this engine VW tunned to circa 216 - 230bhp!!!!.....WITHOUT turbos, NOS, superchargers etc!!!!

Better / freerer breathing......better ignition, etc...........it loves it!!

@fabdavrav, where might i find this remus back box? I need a new exhaust imminently so am contemplating upgrading rather than replacing with standard. Had a google for remus exhausts for the fabia including using their website but can find nothing? any pointers would be appreciated.

@fabdavrav, where might i find this remus back box? I need a new exhaust imminently so am contemplating upgrading rather than replacing with standard. Had a google for remus exhausts for the fabia including using their website but can find nothing? any pointers would be appreciated.

Got mine from Demon Tweeks.......they ordered it in for me

From Remus eu catalogue 2012

Fabia, type 6Y, JAN2000=> (not for station wagon)

1.4l 16V 74 kW; 1.4l MPI 50 kW; 1.4l 55 kW, 2002=>

805002 0502 Sport exhaust with 2 tail pipes 92x78 mm........................as long as stocks last!

Any Ideas if ABT will disclose the source of the cams? or is it their own custom manufactured cams?

Could be custom made ....but chances are they are "off the shelf" from Schrick....

Listed for Roller cam follower VAG small block 4cyl 16v engines......244, 252, 268 durations.........(our engines)

Listed for bucket tappet VAG small block 4cyl 16v engines......256, 264, 280, 292 durations

Please forgive my ignorance, but could someone please explain the differences in the 244, 252, 268 durations.?

I understand the job of the cams and how their shape effects valve open/close durations but how is that governed by a 3 digit number?

Also If the tappets are changed with better parts, would this get rid of the 'diesel' like sound of the AUB engine? My old one sounded terrible and i was informed it was the tappets that had excessive wear causing the terrible sound.

Sorry to hijack the thread, the car looks good Dave :)

• Like 1