CR 90BHP or TSI 86

richardf

It may be coming time to change my 56 Plate Roomster 3 1.9d 105BHP, 60,000 miles 52MPG usually. So do I go for the 90BHP SE of which there seem to be some about on the used market, or the 86BHP TSI? I haven't driven or owned a petrol car for 20 years and so naturally have tested the 90 BHP Diesel.

The car would be used for second car duties mainly, town and some runs to about 7000 miles a year. We already have an Altea 1.6 TDi with DPF, which I nurture care to avoid blocking issues,although I've never had an issue I must admit.

We run with up to four people and luggage and I expect good economy. Should I look for the 105 BHP petrol? Would the 86BHP petrol do the job or just stick to the diesel and risk even more OCD?

Any views

The CR diesel will be similar to your Altea, and will need the same treatment to avoid DPF problems. I think at 7000 pa the TSI is for you especially for runabout duties.

Agree. The 86 bhp TSI has very good torque for a petrol engine, and low consumption. Obviously, if you can afford it, go for the 105bhp TSI. Fuel consumption is the same but it has got much more oomph. After 23k km (14k miles) in all conditions (mainly out-of-town) I get 17.5 km/l (more than 49 mpg) :hi:

Agree with above. I prefer diesels and have owned diesels exclusively for twenty years or so. But the TSI engine is so good that my next Roomster will be petrol.

Just out of interest, your present Roomster is diesel, is economical, has no DPF, and has covered just 60,000 miles.......so why change it?

I suppose that it's the feeling that at 60K it might be time for problems. However, I am loathe to change it, hence the question. It's a 3 with all the extras except heated seats,has FSH including the brake fluids, coolant, climate fluids and alignment. You may be right, why change?

It sounds like a really nice motor, Richard. It would be a shame to give someone else the benefit of your careful ownership. My view is you should keep it.

Just make sure the cambelt is changed every four years - and bank the money you would have spent on a later car.

I suppose that it's the feeling that at 60K it might be time for problems. However, I am loathe to change it, hence the question. It's a 3 with all the extras except heated seats,has FSH including the brake fluids, coolant, climate fluids and alignment. You may be right, why change?

Mine is nearing 70k, same 1.9TDi engine on an 07 plate. It runs flawlessly and I have full checks done every time it has a service. I bought it at 50k from a careful owner with fsh and i think an engine like this if properly taken care of can easily go to 80 or 100k without any issues. Aside from the cambelt change, the only things that may need looking at are the console bushes and possibly corrosion on the rear brakes. I had to change the brakes on mine as soon as i bought it because the handbrake hadn't seen much use and i guess winters and road salt don't help much. The console bushes are starting to split due to the high mileage i do on hilly roads, but a couple hundred ££ will see new uprated ones installed. If I could do my own work on the car they're only around £10 each

• 2 weeks later...