AwesomeAl's 100pd Fabia Comfort (Project Daily Budget Driver)

AwesomeAl

Hey guys, had my fabia for a little while now but thought I'd put some pics up of it :)

It's nothing special, just a 100pd Comfort with a few minor mods. The car is used once or twice a week to go food shopping and to the Girlfriend's house every now and then!

I picked it up for a good price on an 04' plate with just 41,000 miles on the clock! The car came with a great service history, having had a full service every single year (despite low usage). It had a few minor faults, the rear doors leaking and the driver side rear door wouldn't open, but I managed to get them sorted same day I picked it up!

Once of the first things I did was get rid of the side and rear badges and fit a set of the 'Osram Diadem' indicator bulbs, Only a very minor amount of work to do, but certainly makes the car look a lot cleaner.

I also removed the black rubbing strips but due to poor paintwork from the factory, Ended up replacing these:

1.jpg

After this and knowing that the car needed new tyres, I acquired a set of Golf VR6 Winter steels!

2.jpg

The main benefit of these was that tyres were much much cheaper to buy (195/45/15) than what I could get for the standard 14" Steelies.

On this I decided to go with a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 2's which I've used in the past and really do like them! Never lose grip in the wet at all!

3.jpg

Once these were fitted to the car, I had an Awesome Remap done, which took the car up to 142bhp. This also made it a bit nicer to drive on longer journeys, particularly helping when overtaking lorries and such!

Having done the remap, I found the standard springs and engine mount to be a little too supple! (Not a bad thing considering it's a 'comfort' Model, but ended up with a set of Koni Springs, Some Ibiza Cupra wishbone bushes, a Whiteline Rear anti-roll bar and a Powerflex PFF85-620R engine mount!

This made the car a lot better to drive, much sharper and less floppy than standard all round!

4.jpg

I am still considering upgrading the dampers as it can be a little seasick inducing on the bumps we have on our local roads.

Maybe even stretch my budget to a set of coilovers.

My most recent mod the other day was getting rid of the horrible looking chrome on the front grille!

I found some truck bed paint I had lying around for a while so set to work in my loft yesterday!

(Ignore my racing oven glove)

5.jpg

(Texture looks quite good!!)

painttexture.jpg

Will get a picture up once it's fitted!

I think my next task is going to be to clean out the VNT system on the turbo as I've had a spot of limp mode issues on the motorway, I'll also be blanking off the EGR valve, cleaning it and the inlet manifold out!

More updates soon! :)

Looking good, like mine except different colour and 125k miles less

So, nothing like your car then? :rofl:

Am I the only person who likes the chrome around Skoda grilles?

• Like 1

Am I the only person who likes the chrome around Skoda grilles?

Don't get me wrong, they're alright, but when the car has spent it's life in Anglesey parked under a tree and the 'plating' so to speak has all cracked and goosed itself, then the textured black finish looks a million times better.

Couldn't be bothered spending money on a new chrome grille trim. Would have prefered it done body colour but again, too much money to have it painted properly. It's my budget shopping trolley car :)

• Like 1

Intrigued to know what effect the EGR blank will have on yor fuel efficiency! I have a 100pd comfort too and had been considering it... Also did you get your remap done on a standard turbo?

Oh yeah, I've got some of those 'Privacy Shades' fitted too! Cheaper, Quicker and easier to fit than window tints and make it a lot nicer to drive at night on motorway runs :) No longer am I blinded by the xenon lights of range rovers etc!

or 'tards with them fitted in reflector housings ;)

Intrigued to know what effect the EGR blank will have on yor fuel efficiency! I have a 100pd comfort too and had been considering it... Also did you get your remap done on a standard turbo?

Yeah, other than springs and an engine mount the car is completely standard. The map was done with the standard turbo which I'll probably keep unless I get given a good reason to upgrade. I got rid of the EGR System entirely on my PD130 Bora and to be fair neither the economy, nor the performance improved. My main reason for doing away with EGR is that it's just a problem waiting to happen!

Worth removing the EGR unit itself when blanking off and giving a good clean? Maybe even see what the inlet manifold is like too? :)

Yeah, I've got a couple of cans of Mr Muscle oven cleaner, a toothbrush and a new Inlet manifold gasket at the ready. Gonna be a fun day! Need to try and remember my camera and get some pics of what it's like before and after cleaning. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, So the job commenced...

removed all the pipe work ready to remove the EGR valve

01.jpg

EGR valve removed and looking pretty skanky in the ol' inlet manifold!

02.jpg

This is what I found inside the EGR valve...

03.jpg

Then the most important bit...

04.jpg

Mr Muscle Oven cleaner used to clean the EGR valve out. Although it took a fair bit more effort than just spraying it on! Went through 3 cheap tesco toothbrushes trying to get rid of all that stuff!

05.jpg

This is how much crap gathers in the inlet manifold over a period of just 46,000 miles!

06.jpg

Inlet manifold and EGR system removed completely

07.jpg

EGR Blanked off after the Mr Muscle treatment

09.jpg

EGR valve now much much cleaner! Hopefully the blanking off should prevent this gunk from building up ever again.

10.jpg

It now runs a heck of a lot better! Smoother, Stronger and cleaner! Unfortunately being the PD100, I'm still finding the car a little bit boring so I'm thinking along the lines of saving up for a 9n3 Polo GTI

not decided just yet though!

Jeez Al, you don't half swap cars often :giggle:

Anyway, Looked a nice example of a Fabia did that...Will make a good buy for someone :thumbup:

Enjoy the Jetta fella, that will shift with an awesome remap on I bet :)

Hope your well

Damo