Octavia II no dash warning lights and engine not running

bald eagle

Help

My VRS switched itself off at 30 MPH without any warning

1. All fuses in both fuse boxes are good (under bonnet and facia)
  2. Lights, Horn,Hazards, Central locking all work
  3. The dash is totally dead.
  4. Turning ignition siwtch on, relays are heard to operate
  5. Fuses 1 to 6 in internal fuse box do not have a supply (no 12V feed)
  6. Putting a jumper wire from live part of fuse box to above fuses common feed brings dash to life.

Looks like a fault somewhere between ignition switch and internal fuse box feed to above fuses.

I don't have a wiring diagram so proceeding any further is very difficult.

Car is currently with local Skoda dealer who has spent several hours on the car at £60 per hour and says he hasn't a clue as he can't get diagnostics to run on it. He won't cos there isn't any power to the electronic bits which are fed from fuses 1 to 6

Any constructive ideas would be greatly appreciated..

Hi,

Just in case anyone is thinking of replying or interested. My car is now fixed.

I went into the Skoda dealers this morning with the intention of arranging the cars removal back to my home. I was told by the "Master Technician" that there was a major problem with the ECU and this had affected other things on the CAN BUS., they were awaiting further instructions from Skoda Technical. Asking if the feed to fuses 1 to 6 had been resolved I was given a very wooly response. I reitered what I had previously told them and expressed my concerns that the fuses that power the electronics have no feed so I would not expect them to function. To humour me they went and checked the supply circuit to fuses 1 to 6 and found the problem with the supply from the 40A fuse under the bonnet.

Car running, no expensive parts needed, basic fauilt. This is a so called Skoda main dealer not a Fred in a shed. Just because modern cars are more complicated what happened to good old fashioned fault finding ? Not everything can be fixed with a laptop. I wonder how many people have paid for expensive parts unnecessarily.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello,

The Skoda dealer failed miserably. The actual fault was a snagged wire to the tow bar fed from the ignition circuit which was blowing the 40A fuse intermittently. The wire was run through the engine bay where it had been snagged. After sorting this the car has been fine (done approx 8000 miles since). If you have any aftermarket accessories its worth checking the routing of the wires and quality of installation.

Hope this helps

PS having fixed it myself and complaining to the dealer MD he apologised and refunded my invoice.

• Like 1

have tried what you suggested but everyting seems fine i havent had a fuse blowing but i do have no live at fuses 1-6 if i jump a wire over to them the dash lights come back on and engine starts but wont turn off while jump is in place thanks to you i know i am in the right area could it poss be a relay

Hi again,

There are a number of relays behind the facia, it's not too difficult to remove the lower dash on the RHS. The relay box is held in place with a couple of plastic clips. If you get to these you should be able to check which is the ignition feed if you remove the 40A fuse in the engine bay (number 28 if I remember) and you can prove 12V this far then its likely to be a relay or associated with the ignition switch or its wiring if you are lucky. If I remember some of the relays are the same type so you may be able to test by interchanging them.

I believe that its not as simple as cars used to be as there is an electronic unit in the steering column which comunicates with the onboard supply control unit (what the behind facia relays are mounted in and does have some electronics). I don't have any circuit diags, I tried my local Halfords for a Haynes manual and was told that they were available for the VRS and later models.

Hope this helps

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

I know this a old posting bit hopen some1 knows something more.

I have a 2011Skoda octavia scout 4x4.
Power to 40amp fuse under the dash has.
No power to 1 to 6 fuses.
All accessories work except the wipers and this fuse is good.

OBD won't read.

I swapped relays over and no change.

Any ideas?

Thank you.