Off road button

cyberseadog

Could any one please tell me what to expect from this (OFF ROAD BUTTON). On my car Elegance 170 the roll back works all the time not just when the (off road engaged).also if i rev the engine when stopped / parked it limits to 2500 rpm start the car rolling then can rev to red line this is also without the (off road engaged)

When engaged (off Road button) light on dash lit and revs limited to 2500 but when rolling can rev as much as i want I thought it limited the revs to 2500 all the time off road is swiched on

Please could some one out there tell me the correct operation that I should expect from this feature

The down hill decent part works when the off road is swiched on.

Thanks and confused

Thanks confused

Sounds like you are confused.

Firstly all details in the Yeti brochure and the manual.

Your car has Hill Hold Control. This works with or without the ORB pressed.

It stops the car rolling back down the hill when you take foot off brake.

ORB:

This modifies behaviour of any of the electronic aids in the car like the ABS the EDL ESP, and goodness knows what else.

For example the ABS allows you to Skid more so you form a wedge which helps stop quicker.

Throttle response is limited to 2500rpm as you noted to stop jerkiness of throttle when going over bumps.

Hill descent works on inclines of 8% or more works in N, 1, 2 & 3 as well as reverse. The green light flashes when it is working.

An experienced 4x4 driver doesn't need these aids (like Llanigraham) but for mere mortals (inexperienced offroad drivers) they can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut-and-pasted from my reply elsewhere!!

There is a very good but quite long section in the Handbook about it's use and how it helps. Have you read that?

However,

Uphill Start Assist, will limit revs to 2500. (whilst on the slope)

Downhill Assist, maintains a slow stable speed downhill, in neutral, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and reverse

ABS Off-Road, active to 30mph

ASR Off-Road, improves acceleration off-road by limitting slippage

EDL Off-Road, maintains permanent traction in various ways.

All Elegance models have Hill Hold Control which is nothing to do with the O-R button.

Rev limiting to 2500 when standing still is common across all diesels.

Are you meaning as in stopping the wheel spinning so as to gain traction on that wheel and at each wheel as required?

Well there are those that might have vehicles that do allow them to do that by the application of the fiddle brakes or engaging the lockers.

Your 'Off Road' button & hill descents control, traction control & other electrics are all good and well.

Still comes down to actual traction between tyres and surface, no traction no action.

7th of a turn and lock etc, all nice when it does do its job.

Cross axle it and it still flounders, cross axle it & still have drive to one wheel, lets hope the tyre is clean & has some bite.

Lets come back to the Yeti and its electrics & wheel sensors etc in another 5 years time & we will maybe see if they all still work.

Water, Mud, Snow, Sand electrics & sensors. It will be the same old story as every part time 4x4 in the past, lets see how long it all works for.

6 year old Yeti 4x4 and it will probably be back down to Tyres & route selection.

george

Are you meaning as in stopping the wheel spinning so as to gain traction on that wheel and at each wheel as required?

Well there are those that might have vehicles that do allow them to do that by the application of the fiddle brakes or engaging the lockers.

Your 'Off Road' button & hill descents control, traction control & other electrics are all good and well.

Still comes down to actual traction between tyres and surface, no traction no action.

7th of a turn and lock etc, all nice when it does do its job.

Cross axle it and it still flounders, cross axle it & still have drive to one wheel, lets hope the tyre is clean & has some bite.

Lets come back to the Yeti and its electrics & wheel sensors etc in another 5 years time & we will maybe see if they all still work.

Water, Mud, Snow, Sand electrics & sensors. It will be the same old story as every part time 4x4 in the past, lets see how long it all works for.

6 year old Yeti 4x4 and it will probably be back down to Tyres & route selection.

george

I spent many happy years in the Army playing in a variety of off road vehicles with all manner of 4x4, 6x6, ratios, diff locks, tracked vehicles (and in full NBC mode with night vision...) when you really had to go off road! But in my Yeti when trying to get home from my office job on a bumpy, snowy Yorkshire side road, all I want is an easy time and I have found the off road button helps. Yes I could have done it without it, but why not use it when it's there?

I think it has also helped act as a diff lock when one wheel has lost traction, it brakes the spinning wheel so the power goes via the diff to the wheel with grip, instead of that wheel stopping.

(I see you have a Q3 Quattro, nice. Have you got he Hill descent, does it do the same as the Off Road button?)

No,

but we were talking about the 'offroad button' and traction i thought.

My 4x4s can lock a wheel as i choose.

Or just provide low enough gearing to descend and not just turn into a sledge sliding down slopes.

The comment, 'i have yet to find a driver'. Maybe you ment in a Yeti!

horses for courses,

As it turns out from your reply,

You were surely such a driver when in a vehicle with the capability to stop individual wheels spinning,

that was reason for replying really, and you gave an example..

The 'Offroad button' has advantages, care needs taken tho on poor traction situations, off camber and steep descents,

but then surely everyone does that anyway. tyres are important to the efficiency.

Clogged tyres & it can so easily become an exhillerating slide.

Best tried out in various situations and its limitations experienced pre use on the road, & on ice etc.

george

You say it doesn't help experienced off road drivers. However I've yet to find a driver who can individually brake any wheel when it needs it!

I don't have the off-road button, and mine still does that!

The off-road button is an aid for inexperienced drivers, but can also be dangerous because it can lead to overconfidence.

• Like 1

I don't have the off-road button, and mine still does that!

The off-road button is an aid for inexperienced drivers, but can also be dangerous because it can lead to overconfidence.

Interesting, as the brochure refers to Electronic Diff Lock as the feature that brakes the slipping wheel only with the Off Road button (and I don't mean ESP or other aids that brake wheels when driving round bends etc as I don't think ESP would do the EDL feature...)

Actually, maybe you guys are right. I just need a Series 1 Land Rover with yellow and red knobs........

re the 'Series Landy'

They were only rear wheel drive anyway unless those leavers were pushed and could still give no wheel drive.

Thats the thing about open diffs, still can mean you are going no place

you need that central diff and lockers in the axle diffs. & its still no traction no action unless going down hill.

Then a spinning front wheel getting a brake applied can be your worst nightmare.

george

From Yeti Brochure, not Owners manual.

'Off road button*,

By pushing the off road button, Yeti helps maintain control when the driving conditions

get tough, it will maintain a constant speed downhill on a steep slope (over 8%),

maintain traction going uphill and stop over revving of the engine, hold the car still on

a hill start and help prevent the wheels spinning on loose or wet slippery roads.'

(just one of the parts in the brochure)

'Downhill assist,

Maintains a stable speed down slippery, wet or snowy road surfaces.

Engine is running, but is engaged in neutral, first, second, third or reverse gear.

ESP brakes the wheels individually, preventing locking.

In neutral the driver does not have to press the accelerator or brake pedal.

Allows the driver to consentrate on steering the car.

'4x4 system.

The latest generation 4x4 system helps you maintain control and stability at all times.

The system senses what is happening on each wheel and quickly applies brakes when needed

to give more grip or drive to keep you on your chosen path.'