SEAT PD160 air intake

My mate has a seat PD130 and was considering purchasing the PD160 air intake, and not bother to tell anyone. I understand the need for upto date and precise information regarding insurers, BUT, unless you had two cars next to each other and compared them, would anyone actually notice? even during servicing? I've seen the fitting instructions and i can notice the largers size, but only with something to compare to. Is there anything else that stands out?

Insurance companies actively look for reasons not to pay out. They'll check the ECU and air filter etc if the accident is your fault because if they find anything they can avoid paying out.

For the amount it'll cost to insure it's not worth the cost to replace your car (and potentially someone else's), go to court etc...

Insurance companies actively look for reasons not to pay out. They'll check the ECU and air filter etc if the accident is your fault because if they find anything they can avoid paying out.

For the amount it'll cost to insure it's not worth the cost to replace your car (and potentially someone else's)' date=' go to court etc...[/quote']

question is tho what would you insure it as ??

yeah i agree with you, but i wanna know if anyone could actually tell without purposefully looking for it? hmm ponder i will

Probably not noticeable, especially once it's covered in a layer of grime. :D Not quite as obvious as using SPT, but a bit pricier :rofl:

Chris

It's just bigger. It does not (really) improve performance as such (although it may make the usable range bigger and reduce smoke).

My dealer said it would not void warranty as it's not altering the engine/ECU itself

You can easily fit this one yourself as well, which is a bonus as it will save you a fair bit in labour :D

For insurance purposes - tricky one, I am working with my insurance broker to work out what the cost will be. I'm guessing air-intake related items that don't have a big impact on performance will probably not cause a premium hike, unlike a strut brace which may do.

funny thing is strutbrace doesnt increase performance and isnt cosmetic as you cant see it so shouldnt be charged for

If it doesn't do anything performance-wise, and no-one can see it, why bother spending 50 quid on one then ;)

Chris

performance means bhp and torque to insurance companies tho ;)

So what if I slap a big pair of 312mm brakes on the car do I have to tell the insurance company then as this doesn't increase BHP or torque ;):rofl:

tbh if they wanted too they could void your policy if you fitted mud flaps

2 THINGS;

1: you have to really bugger things up to have someone checking your car over, If you are having your car checked then it is usually because of a dangerous driving offence, you might write the car off, but if noone else is involved and you didnt end up 1/2 mile across a field, no-ones checking! In otherwords, they only check when foul play is suspected.

2: Even if a dealer did pick up on it, they are hardly going to tell your insurers.

agree?

Is that a gamble you can afford to take?

Chris

Anyone who gets caught for dangerous driving, deserves to have the book thrown at them. Coppers know what happens when your going slightly too fast, they also know what happens when your being totally F***ing stupid.

Having a knock at 50 in a 40, wont get your car checked over. Luckily its not a risk i am actually taking, but the fear of god is put into us all the time to make sure we dont.

I dont know a single person who has had their car checked after a biggie! and i know people that have had perfect reasons to have their cars well and truly checked over. (and things would have been found, like cherry diesel ect)

I dont know a single person who has had their car checked after a biggie! and i know people that have had perfect reasons to have their cars well and truly checked over. (and things would have been found, like cherry diesel ect)

And how many people do you know? :rolleyes:

Chris

Strutbrace is a suspension modification which can alter the characteristics of the car on impact. Therefore you are in risky territory.

Strangely the uprated brakes will probably cause increased premiums too, even though it has potential to make the car a lot safer in case of an emergency stop due to improved stopping power.

Let's face it - most insurance companies are out there to make money ;)

On the 'dealer telling insurance' one - nah I doubt the dealer would be particularly interested as they are not dealing with the insurance company (unless you got it via the dealer, but that's highly unlikely these days)

And how many people do you know? :rolleyes:

Chris

admittedly i only actually know 3 people, and 2 of those work at my local corner shop ;)

nah, i come from a family heavily into motorsport (no not a chav), and i live 12 miles from the nearest town, so we have plenty of chance to play in safety, i just resent the thought of this country being run by fear.

Strangely the uprated brakes will probably cause increased premiums too, even though it has potential to make the car a lot safer in case of an emergency stop due to improved stopping power.

If I was an insurance company, I would say that uprating your braking power would encourage you to drive faster and take more risks.

Interestingly, when I replaced the full brake setup they were marked down on the policy, but treated as a consumable so not liable for an increased premium, despite replacing the non-consumable brake lines and calipers :D

Chris

If I was an insurance company' date=' I would say that uprating your braking power would encourage you to drive faster and take more risks.

Interestingly, when I replaced the full brake setup they were marked down on the policy, but treated as a consumable so not liable for an increased premium, despite replacing the non-consumable brake lines and calipers :D

Chris[/quote']

odd aint it, i see brakes as better stopping power, but its all relative, bigger brakes = faster capability = bigger risk! why dont we just leave the things as they are :rolleyes:

mine goes back in 2 years for another one so i'm not going to bother doing much, just enough to keep 50k miles a year interesting!!

Taking this further, has anyone here ever told an insurance company about a 'performance' air filter, for instance? If so what was the outcome? It's a consumable but has the potential to add performance.