Installing remote key locking 57 Octavia

This topic has probably already been answered somewhere. But can only find info on older cars.

Anyhow basically my drivers door lock has gone faulty and when it turn the key the key goes round and round and round, sometimes if im gentle it will unlock.

Ok so 2 options have presented themselves to me,

1. Get a new / second hand door lock mechanism, although I'm guessing that i will end up with a second key for the car if I do this??.

2. Is to install one of these remote locking kits off flee bay £25 ish where you get 2 folding "HAA" keys with buttons on and a receiver unit. This option is appealing although the installation isn't quite as appealing, and I was told for a pro to install it will cost £100+.

I was hoping someone out there could provide me with some useful info in lamens terms, as it seems quite fiddly and risky if you dont know exactly what your doing, I would be willing to do it if I had clear instruction.

The car is a '57 Octavia Estate Classic. Thx in advance :-P

It's not the key, it's the barrel of the lock that fails. We had this a lot on the Octavia's at work and used to get through no end of replacement barrels. You can order the correct one from a dealer so you won't need to have a second key although I haven't got a clue on prices etc.

The solution work went for was to retrofit an aftermarket remote for the central locking - mind you that was so cheap the remote controls kept falling to pieces...

Thanks for the replies people, Im pretty sure the key isn't worn as it opens the n/s door fine and starts the car no problem. The replacement lock barrel sounds like the way to go even though it would be a nice luxury to have remote locking. But the work and skill involved worries me, so the lock barrel I will look into, any info on fitting a replacement lock barrel would be appreciated, thx again for your help on this. ;-)

1 more thing, forgive my ignorance Chappers but if I order a new lock barrel you say I wont need a new key to fit it? but isnt the lock barrel the part where the key goes into? Im confused as to how my original key will fit a new barrel? Hmm or do i ask skoda for a barrel repair kit? sorry to be a pain Chappers but i guess a second key wouldn't be the end of the world if i need one.

1 more thing, forgive my ignorance Chappers but if I order a new lock barrel you say I wont need a new key to fit it? but isnt the lock barrel the part where the key goes into? Im confused as to how my original key will fit a new barrel? Hmm or do i ask skoda for a barrel repair kit? sorry to be a pain Chappers but i guess a second key wouldn't be the end of the world if i need one.

The dealer should be able to order you a lock barrel that will fit your existing key. Just make sure that you tell tham that you want it to match the key when you order it otherwise they may well just provide you with a random barrel (and different key) from the parts shelf.

Ah righto I see now, guess they may charge extra to match it to the existing key though, ok thanks for clearing that up for me Chappers ;-)

Ordered the lock barrel to fit original key from Skoda, can take up to 2 weeks to be in stock, £36.84. Which isn't as expensive as I expected. Thanks for all your help people. ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Quick Update for other people with this issue. Just got round to fitting the new door lock barrel. I was worried about dropping screws inside the door, having to remove the door panel etc. But to my amazement as my mechanic said it was so easy. Just remove the 2 little black plastic caps off the door edge to reveal 2 torx screws, undo these so they are loose but not removed then the whole lock barrel just slides out of the front of the door, replace the barrel and slide it back in, tighten the screws, replace the plastic caps. Job done!!!! Happy to have a trouble free door lock again, thx to all who helped with this, and I hope this helps others ;-)

• 3 years later...

Thanks a million for you help folks. Based on t g e comments above I will order a new lock barrel / lock cylinder from my local dealer. The current lock barrel / lock cylinder is from a scrap yard, works fine, but two keys is frustrating.

• 1 month later...

I bought a new drivers door barrel from the main dealer in Belfast. The barrel cost £35.30, took two weeks to arrive from Czech republic.

Just a note on fitting, the top T20 Torx was opened only 4.5 turns and the bottom T20 Tora was opened 13.5 turns, that way you don't loose the screws in the door.

Photos: https://goo.gl/photos/2ToW4Z6iEHDxbmHh9