Knocking with JOM coilovers

ell

Hey, im getting a knocking noise from the front with my JOM coilovers and i was wondering if anyone had the same problem? They still need worn in, sitting at 55mm at the minute with the helpers out.. garage said the right drive shaft is bigger than the left, the engine plastic cover thing is rubbing on my mondeo drop links and that the anti roll bar was rubbing the drive shaft (due to it being bigger) at 60mm..

Any ideas? Getting fed up now.. :(

the noise is mainly when im not accelerating btw :)

Hey, im getting a knocking noise from the front with my JOM coilovers and i was wondering if anyone had the same problem? They still need worn in, sitting at 55mm at the minute with the helpers out.. garage said the right drive shaft is bigger than the left, the engine plastic cover thing is rubbing on my mondeo drop links and that the anti roll bar was rubbing the drive shaft (due to it being bigger) at 60mm..

Any ideas? Getting fed up now.. :(

the noise is mainly when im not accelerating btw :)

might be some help (although not Fabia or even Skoda related), but I have Prosport coilovers on my VW T5 transporter, and they knock and bang on almost smooth roads. I've done a lot of research and changed virtually everything, and it would appear to be the springs constantly reseating themselves as they are never really under much compression. I haven't done it yet, but apparently the "fix" is to cable tie the spring to the strut (top and bottom) to stop it moving around on the strut...

might be some help (although not Fabia or even Skoda related), but I have Prosport coilovers on my VW T5 transporter, and they knock and bang on almost smooth roads. I've done a lot of research and changed virtually everything, and it would appear to be the springs constantly reseating themselves as they are never really under much compression. I haven't done it yet, but apparently the "fix" is to cable tie the spring to the strut (top and bottom) to stop it moving around on the strut...

Ah nice one mate! Ill remember this for when it goes back in the garage on wed :)

if the arb is fouling the drive shaft, this will be the banging! Mine never bang in fact are silent and isnt something to ignore.

I would try making sure you have the correct drop links again. Buying ford puma ones would settle it as there are not many types.

Drive shafts are usually dif sizes as some are longer and need strengthened/balanced to match.

My bets would be strut top bearing not securely fastened or drop links causing arb to foul drive shaft

Oh and if your spring isnt under much compression-something is wrong. If they constantly reseat, as other party mentioned, then they have lowered too far, and the weight of the car is on the bump stops. If yours is only 50mm lowered then the spring is under the same weight tension any other spring would be, ie the weight of the car.

Edited by Lofty79

On mine, with the springs wound only half way down the threads, I am able to rotate the springs (albeit they are stiff to move) by hand with the strut off the car.

If that's lower than they were meant to be lowered, why continue the threads another 40mm lower?

The van is nowhere near the bumpstops, and the springs have the full weight of a 2 tonne van sitting on them (distributed over 4 corners obviously). The only way I can really put tension on the springs is to wind the collars almost to the top, which kind of defeats the object of having coilovers in the first place.

Going to try the cable tie idea next week - I'll update how it goes...

yes but her strut is ON the car, and i doubt she is airborn when knocking is present.

when your transporter is on the deck- bet you cant twist the coils.

if you can, you havent removed the old suspension

i could twist mine when off the car or car jacked up, but when landed? no twisting.

And ell the arb goes up/down with the wheel, so when it 'rubs' the drive shaft its ACTUALLY hitting the drive shaft

Edited by Lofty79

Ah alright cheers mate, will give it a few days then if no luck ill get the puma droplinks mate

thatll be the ticket dude. I wouldnt leave it too long, joms dont knock. at least it would be a cheap fix

I'll chip in here:

JOMs have an extremely common fault that results in knocking/clunking.

The strut itself has a locking nut that is 'hidden' under a metal cap, which isn't thread locked. It comes loose, resulting in a clunking sound.

The fix?

Prise off the metal cap, apply locktite, tighten back up, and put metal cap back on.

Now obviously you wish you'd researched JOMs before getting them put on the car... Because it makes doing this fix a preventative job whilst they're not on the car which is infinitely easier than doing it with the car jacked up and you sat in a wheel well thinking "****ing thing"

If all else fails, I would point the finger at this.

However, it's been SO common that I would check this as a first port of call as the fix is relatively easy provided you have any mechanical ability :)

Also if you own JOMs and have any mechanical knowledge - apply this as a preventative fix for much more piece of mind down the line ;)

Ive had this for a while now and have taken the hidden cap off and it was as tight as anything! On closer inspection i noticed that the top coil of the main spring was rubbing against the coil directly below it! Causing a knocking. Ive spoken to dpm about it and they have been very helpful. They think that they now supply plsstic spring covers to stop the knock. damien is going to check for me so ill let you know.

Ive had this for a while now and have taken the hidden cap off and it was as tight as anything! On closer inspection i noticed that the top coil of the main spring was rubbing against the coil directly below it! Causing a knocking. Ive spoken to dpm about it and they have been very helpful. They think that they now supply plsstic spring covers to stop the knock. damien is going to check for me so ill let you know.

Awesome thanks mate

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...