`Clearcoat safe`

mandp

I am aware that with the advent of water based paint on our cars these days, its important that the shampoos, polishes, waxes, etc are all clearcoat safe.

My question is:

If it doesn't actually say `Clearcoat safe` on the label of a product, should we assume that it is...or should we steer clear and just use ones that do make that statement.

What do you think?

Many thanks.

Mike.

Damn; all morning I have been ploughing through masses of information (much of it contradictory) about the best way to protect my awaited new Black Magic Octavia and now I have one more thing to fret about.

Thanks Chris. Mainly been trying to work out if to stick with the more traditional carnuba etc waxing products that I have always used or go for some of the newer fangled synthetic protectors like the Auto Finesse Tough Coat system. Some of them sound a bit daunting as apparently they are difficult to remove if you don't get it right.

The awaited Octavia is in Black Magic BTW and I plan to keep it for some time and avoid accumulating too many swirl problems etc if I can. Any suggestions welcome; I don't mind spending a few quid to keep it looking fairly good. What I really mean is very good I am a bit anal about these things.

Thanks again Chris. Yes I had decided I would probably invest in a Nilfisk high pressure jobby and an autobrite snow lance or similar. Already have a steam cleaner but not sure it would be wise to turn that loose on my new Octavia.

Yes I was kidding. LOL Current plan is to give my new baby a coat or two of Poorboy's EX-P Sealant topped with a good Collinite 476s waxing. Hopefully that will give a few months protection and make keeping it clean a doddle.

Plus some Poorboy's Wheel Sealant or similar for my Pallas alloys.

Sorry OP to have highjacked your thread.

Thanks again Chris. Did not see your advice until I put in my order to Ultimate Finish so will have to make do with the PB wheel stuff. Ordered a Nilfisk foam lance as well unfortunately at present I don't have a dirty car to try it out on. Eyeing up my neighbours dirty cars for a trial run.