just rang my insurance to see if there would be an insurance premium hike for a green cotton filter and cupra air intake, and they state it would increase by 60 pound. im so angry wight now its unbelievable. how can they justify an insurance hike of 60 quid for that, which doesnt increase performanc or bhp

i have just rang them back to explain that i am changing the AIR FILTER a consumable for the green cotton air filter which means it wont have to be changed at services etc, and they have changed there minds stating the filter is a maintanence issue and there will be no change in the premium.

The air filter should not increase premium and I consider it not to be a modification, purely on the basis that no non-user-replaceable part has been replaced.

The PD160 air intake is pushing it a little more as it's not a part that you are supposed to replace as part of the normal maintenance on the vehicle.

That said, it makes no difference to the bhp generally speaking so I'm thinking it should not be a problem either.

Glad they let you have it for free :D

thats the reason i have told mine about it. for instance none of us want to have an accident, but for arguments sake lets say you do, and it's a nasty one, were you cant get the car back home and swop the filter and intake etc. what will your argument be then when the insurance turn around and state the car is modified more then your insurance specifies.

The air filter should not increase premium and I consider it not to be a modification

Would have to agree - if you went to Halfords and bought a Halford's own panel air filter and used that instead of the Skoda approved part, would it class a modification?

Similarly using a different brand of oil, fuel, screenwash, etc.

The air intake would be a bit different though...actually, if you said PD160 to the insurance they'd probably take that to mean the bhp will increase to 160, which would be rather reasonable for

First I need to get my license swapped for UK one - that should allow me to switch insurers and get a lower cost. I also need to insure the car for business use due to being required to have a car for the job.