Strange sound from under the hood

I'm having a strange sound coming from under the hood, I replaced complete clutch set (dual mass flywheel included) so that can't be, I was sure that was the problem (it was ready for replacement), but still I'm getting this strange sound. But this does not always occur, only sometimes when engine is cold and few minutes after start. My friend says it is a balance shaft, but as far as I could find on Internet, BKD engines (one in this car) don't have problems with that.

Here is the video:

Edited by doggara

My 2005 1.9 TDI Octavia also does it. As above It is intermittent, sometimes when the engine is cold and sometimes after a long journey. I go weeks though with no noise at all. Quite a relief to hear that others do it. It has had me quite worried.

I think it does, I'm not sure. I will give my best to record that too.. I think when I replaced clutch set and right after start, it started to do that sound again and I if I remember correctly I was trying it with clutch pedal pressed down but it made no difference. I will give my best to record situation with clutch pedal pressed down, but last few days this didn't occur.

On mine when it makes this noise, pressing the clutch pedal makes no difference at all. The noise is heard intermittently and on tickover only.Sometimes when the engine is cold, other times when hot.It is quite a worring noise as though something will shortly let go. I go weeks and never hear it, then it will suddenly do it.

Someone surely must know if this is serious or nothing to worry about?

• 2 weeks later...

Still we don't have a valid answer. It happened again today and I tried to press clutch pedal down and sound stopped, then I released pedal again and sound returned. I remind you that complete clutch set and DMF was replaced few weeks ago. So I really don't know what the problem is, but it looks to me that it could be transmission. Because DMF was bad before changed so I think maybe it put something in transmission off balance, I really don't know.

But will do my best to record this also (with clutch pedal pressed and released).

As I mentioned in my first reply this is something that my Octavia suffers from this occasionally. As such something I really would like to know if serious.

As doggara has captured on video clips would Skoda, a dealership or a good Indy accept an email with the clip attached? May help with diagnosis?

My BKD PD140 does something similar, but from the other side of the engine bay.

Wonder if its the same thing and if its a trait of these engines (or anything to worry about).

Here is my new video of the same problem. I recorded it today, the temperature was around 0 C . As you can see on video, I tried with clutch pedal pressed and clutch pedal released. And when I press the clutch pedal, sound disappears. Then I release clutch pedal and sound return. And one more thing, when I pressed clutch pedal only little bit I felt some kind of vibrations on my foot, this is maybe normal, I really don't know.

This is first video recorder right after cold start.

and this is same problem, recorded few minutes/miles after cold start..

My BKD PD140 does something similar, but from the other side of the engine bay.

Wonder if its the same thing and if its a trait of these engines (or anything to worry about).

I really don't know but I suspect that it is same problem but your steering wheel is on right side (mine in left), so maybe whole engine/transmission is positioned differently. I'm not sure if that is true, but it may be.

Edited by doggara

• 4 months later...

I finally solved the problem. It was DMF indeed. The guy that replaced it first time screwed me up (mada****er) and now I had it replaced at official dealer and it is OK. They replaced Dual mass flywheel and complete clutch set. It was about 600 euros.

Here is the video of worn dual mass flywheel. This is the one that was mounted in my car.

I hope that someone will find this topic very helpful, because I lost 6 months of my life solving this problem.