thinking of replaceing my VRS.

westy-vrs

Been and looked at a focus st 07plate and really like it. Just not to sure about 320ish miles to a tank.(55ltr) apparently. My 07octavia VRS is getting 400ish to a tank. But not sure of the tank size. Has any1 on here made a similar change.

Parents have got a 2007 Focus (not an ST though). It's put me off Fords for a long time. While it's never broken down as such, it's cheaply built with not-very-nice-materials and has a few things failing which you wouldn't expect for a car of the age. It's not that refined either, but it is quite comfy (I've never driven it properly, so can't comment there.)

I changed from my 40mpg GTi to a 20mpg RX-8. I know it's not the same step in economy as you'd be making, but the fuel bills put me off the car and stopped me driving it. It got to the point where I couldn't justify driving unless I had too whereas I used to go for a drive for the fun of it. At that point, owning a car becomes pretty pointless IMO. I can remember spending £35 in fuel on a night to Milton Keynes (from Aylesbury) and back.

My mate averaged 22mpg in his and he was trying to save petrol then. Sold it after 2yr it was so expensive to run.

Sounded great though.

I looked at one before buying my last car, an Astra VXR. Wasn't a fan of the Fords interior, the Astra just seemed to use better materials all round and was a nicer cabin IMO, plus the fuel bills are bad, a few lads I know often get 14-18mpg on normal driving and then have to drive like Miss Daisy to get anywhere near 22-25mpg.

Those can be added later, the Focus looked bland with the elephant grey dash and seats, well on the blue ST2 I looked at. Astra's are much better after '07 with the piano black trim. Sony audio unit wasn't bad in the Focus though, I'll give it that :)

Another mate of mine had an Astra VXR from new, full Vx service history. The engine lunched itself after about 18 months while under warranty and it took him 6 months to get Vx to honor the warranty. It wasn't an uncommon thing either according to him. VX was well known for blaming driver for the faults.

He sold it shortly after he won the argument and bought a 320d, and is now in a Merc C-class. He'd been a VX driver for 10yr but never again.

VX was well known for blaming driver for the faults.

Too true. Good friends of ours have an astra 1.4 coupe. They drove it regularly over a couple of years. It then developed an intermitent fault where power would seem to drop off. The fact that they were very familiar with the car kind of means they would be able to feel any slight issues like this. Took it to Vauxhall who wouldnt accept there was anything wrong. The dealer actually said " you realise its not a ferrari". As is that was goinfg to be a reasonable explanation for the issue. They eventually got the issue sorted but it took months and heaps of return visits and a lot of hassle.

Regarding the focus ST a surveyor at work had one. He liked it a lot but he couldnt get above 21mpg average even driving like a granny. This probably wouldnt initially bother you but poor mpg such as this does get annoying eventually especially as you can get cars that are similarly fast with far better economy. My old S3 was probably as fast and had AWD and had great economy, so it can be done.

Edited by Jockdooshbag

I had one and loved it... BUT and this is a very big BUT; 275 on average miles to a tank driving round town... I drove to Surbiton from Bury after work to pick something up, got there and then had to fill up on the way back out of Surbiton...

I really miss it though and would consider another

http://www.fastestla...rdschleife.html :D

Suggests that the ST is a "better" car ;)

Chris

Good website. Think there was only 6 secs in it so not bad. Considering i would get mid 40's mpg on motorway in my s3 ill accept the 6 sec deficit. :)

Strangely enough the s3 was quicker than the s4. I supose it depends who drove the cars but its interesting none the less.

Dont get me wrong the ST was a nice car, just felt that the mpg was disproportionately low for the BHP it delivered.

Edited by Jockdooshbag