Bodywork not as corrosion resistant as one would have hoped

The Plumber

Just given the Monster's bodywork its third deep clean (other than just a wash with the Autoglym shampoo); now almost 20 months old with over 24k on the clock and looking slightly 'weather-beaten'.

Surprised to find two small corrosion blisters in the paint; one on each of the offside doors, obviously the result of a stone impact. Would have hoped the bodywork protection under the paint was a little more resilient to corrosion than this. My lads previous Fabia Mk 1 had one or two of these as well but was 9 years old not less than 2 :smirk:

Put a dab of paint over the centre of the blister and will have to hope it gets no worse. Mind the Skoda touch-up paint is not very user friendly, even warmed it has the consistency of treacle :doh:

8277722058_e63633a2b9_z.jpg

Excuse the picture quality, camera had difficulty focusing on this one.

8277722204_df8c0ee16c_z.jpg

This one I probably should have picked up on sooner but in my defence was slightly masked by tar spots.

TP

TP I had this problem too some months back. A small blister appeared just above the wheel arch, rear door, drivers side. With no obvious stone damage, i.e. the blister looked like corrosion coming from the inside out, Skoda were happy to repair this under warranty. (photos were taken first for the go-ahead) They also repaired a small dent on the opposite side,(Asda car park) for a very reasonable amount. Plus, fixed on the transparent plastic wheel arch 'protectors'. Job well done!

So it may be worth your while getting a second opinion?

Thanks for that, will ask next time it's in. Mind I'm not hopeful, as prior to my putting a drop of paint on them there was a small hole in the centre of each blister, although that could easily be the paint splitting due to said blister forming :wonder:

Who did your repairs by the way, local VAG approved bodyshop round here is quite poor, did a warranty repair to our previous Fabia II and make a shocking job of it; see marks left by their sander through the paint and previous stone chips :S

Regards,

TP

My offside rear door has a blister in it too, I thought at first a Czech fly had been painted in!

I have spoken to Mitchells and they are happy to get the paint man to sort it out when it goes for its next service.

At least after my incident with the Porsche I will have a stone chip free front end :whew:

I had the same problem on mine and Skoda were going to repair it, until I managed to catch the same door on a metal post misjudging a gateway, so had to get another bodyshop to repair that, doing the rust at the same time. D'oh!

Thanks for that, will ask next time it's in. Mind I'm not hopeful, as prior to my putting a drop of paint on them there was a small hole in the centre of each blister, although that could easily be the paint splitting due to said blister forming :wonder:

Who did your repairs by the way, local VAG approved bodyshop round here is quite poor, did a warranty repair to our previous Fabia II and make a shocking job of it; see marks left by their sander through the paint and previous stone chips :S

Regards,

TP

The dealer was Silbury ŠKODA in Cramlington, Northumberland, highly recommended :happy:

Had a similar problem with Drivers door (below the plastic strip) last year. Spotted before the lacquer split, but didn't get to dealers in time.

After a protracted discussion (customer service were little help so escalated), and with the help of the body shop manager, Skoda UK agreed to pay in full. Feedback I got from the body shop manager was that there were 2 (not 1) spot welds where they should not have been, which (because they shouldn't have been there) hadn't been treated / cleaned up pre-painting.

Don't think I metioned it at the time, as it seemed to be a 1 off on an early build.

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem with all four doors om my corrida red TSI 1.2. Some 25 small blisters, a dozen of them in a tight group, all with tiny pinholes in the center. The dealer also found some blisters at the lower rear corners of each door, which led to that they repainted all four doors right before the end of the three year warrany. The claimed that this type of lacquer must be waxed and maintained regularly in order to last for long!