Headlight Switch Removal

I have a MY12 Elegance and I want to retrofit auto lights. It has auto wipers and self dimming mirror so it has the rain and light sensor. I have read the relevant threads and know I need a switch, possibly a couple of repair wires if the pin 2 to convenience module pin 20 is missing and the relevant coding. The problem is the removal of the current switch. I have seen the procedure, push the middle of the switch in, turn clockwise then the unit pulls out. Except, the switch won't move and I'm worried about breaking something. Any advice please?

• Like 1

have the switch in the 'off' position. push the selector in, and turn it clockwise. it will get around half way between off and sidelights (or auto)

then pull towards you.

it took me a few goes too!

• Like 1

Thanks again. It isn't cooking oil, it is a liquid paraffin type oil that is of a purity suitable for use in food and pharmaceutical manufacture environments, totally inert on these plastics, will not decompose and has no smell but that is good advice about not using cooking oil. Cheers.

the first time I did it to mine, it took a bit of a push and made a click - I thought I had broken it. maybe I had broken it in, as it was its first time. no this is not an analogy to anything else. get your mind out of the gutter :p 

Thanks again. I realised I was being stupid. I was expecting the housing to move including the outer ring, DOH! not realising that when the centre is pushed in and turned clockwise, you have released the locking tabs and it just slides out without any effort. On the plus side the purple No.2 wire is there so it should be a case of swapping the switch and coding, when it arrives, damn christmas slowing down the mail!!

• 3 years later...

Tip: take the side fuse board cover off and you can get your fingers on the back of the light switch so you can focus on one hand just pushing the switch in and turning it, the other can push the switch out from the back. This way you don't have to try and push to unlock it then straight away swap to pulling with the same hand and hope you catch it correctly. Much easier and smoother, IMO. ;)

• Like 1