Does Your V6 Rattle?

dobbey

When the car is started for the first time in the day, there is a little rattle coming from the engine/exhaust. It goes away after about a minute, its just while the engine is cold. Does anyone else's V6 do this? I've looked on the Passat R36 forum and everyone says its normal :?

Cheers

Having read your post I have been specifically listening out for a rattle, but I do not have one.

Thoughts:

My car is always garaged, not sure whether that makes a difference - not as cold as being left outside ?.

Also it is a 2012, so perhaps they've found out what caused it.

Oil, I am on long service interval (19K ish) and I notice it uses different oil.

Still loving the car - every journey is a pleasure.

Thanks

I initially thought it may have been a loose baffle in the exhaust, but after looking on the R36 forum, they say its engine.

My car is on variable servicing and hasn't had a service yet. It's only just reached the recommended mileage for an oil change, though its still clean.

A trip to the dealers may be on the cards to see if an oil change fixes it, if not, I'll ask their opinions, or just live with it.

Merry Christmas :D

Edited by dobbey

Yes, my V6 rattles for the first 30 seconds to 1 min on a cold start too. I think the noise comes from the manifold / engine but not sure it is really a rattle, just a different noise as the car warms up.

Merry Christmas :D too.

Dobbey, I found hard to tell from your video if the noise was the same as mine so I have tried to attach a video of my cars start up. You should notice a noticeable difference in engine noise at about 35 sec.

If there is a competition of most boring video posted we should do very well!

http://s1146.beta.photobucket.com/user/stevenwwilson/media/M4V04564_zps72bc1c1d.mp4.html

Edited by sww