Dog bone mount bush change

Bowders1

Not posted for a while folks , so thought I would catch up a little

Not done much to car lately as most things are already done now.

However I was getting a little gearbox movement to car and judder.

This was a previous common feeling when I had std Dogbone mount.

std mount removed from Dogbone

20121101_123014.jpg

Over the years I have replaced the larger rear bush to a Powerflex which was a great improvement over std and vibrations not too bad after bedding in

Pic of the Powerflex bush

powerflex_zps1b60af19.jpg

This was a great mod and stopped wheel hop and gave much better pull away

Then curiosity got the better of me and I purchased a Superpro rear bush

Superpro_zps2394bfc8.jpg

This actually was less severe than the Powerflex, you could tell be squeezing the 2 bushes , the superpro had more give.

After a few months I felt I wanted the Powerflex one back in so instead I purchase superpro front inserts as I thought that the std bush at front needed some firmness.

superprofrontinsert_zpse8e6ae09.jpg

These were easy to fit.

I drove car like this for well over a year and was impressed, much better than just the rear bush fitted. I do like the car hard though as I have poly bushes all round and KW coilover so may not be for everyone taste.

Then again curiosity jot better of me again. I felt the inserts were probably killing the std voided front bush by now.

So next combination was to refit my old powerflex rear bush and a superpro solid front bush

pic of solid front bush

superprofrontbush_zps049dd73a.jpg

drilled out front std bush

20121031_153646.jpg

TIP: place solid bush in freezer for 30min make pressing in bush much easier

20121031_162953.jpg

Bushes fitted , cleaned up and polished Dogbone (Am I OTT or what)

20121103_131259.jpg

Well results were as expected quite solid, did get a bit of vibration for around a week. (probably would be more if i fitted a brand new powerflex rear bush lol)

now I love it, get no wheel hop, feels solid and no movement. Will be going for uprated gearbox and engine mounts later on

summary:

Replacement rear powerflex bush = Great start for curing wheel hop and probably enough for most folks

Replacement rear Superpro bush = not so hard as powerflex and may be better for folks to mildly upgrade(suit std car)

Replacement rear Superpro bush + front inserts = Probably take it to the first option as rear powerflex, good overall improvement with not too much vibration, may cause std front bushes to wear more.

Replacement rear powerflex bush + solid front superpro bush = Ultimate in reducing wheel hop and great pull away. Maybe too much for some folks , expect vibration for few weeks. But does go away. My favorite

Edit as of 20th, June

As it now stands I was geting still too much vibration with a Powerflex rear bush and superpro solid front bush and have gone back to Superpro rear bush and superpro solid front bush.

2013-06-01150207_zps363328f3.jpg

2013-06-01150147_zpsff434974.jpg

This is better for me as no vibration at all, even at start up.

updated summary:

Replacement rear powerflex bush = Great start for curing wheel hop and probably enough for most folks

Replacement rear Superpro bush = not so hard as powerflex and may be better for folks to mildly upgrade(suit std car)

Replacement rear Superpro bush + front inserts = Probably take it to the first option as rear powerflex, good overall improvement with not too much vibration, may cause std front bushes to wear more.

Replacement rear powerflex bush + solid front superpro bush = Ultimate in reducing wheel hop and great pull away. Maybe too much Vibration for some folks , expect vibration for few weeks. But does go away.(but not completely

Replacement rear Superpro bush + solid front superpro bush = Ultimate in reducing wheel hop and great pull away. No vibration after bedded in at all, as what Powerflex does and no vibration at start up. expect some vibration for few weeks. But does go away. My favorite :thumbup:

Guest BigJase88

I ran the diesel powerflex on my 1.8t (red) rear bush and the super pro inserts at the front

Made a nice difference and was silent at idle and didnt vibrate :)

Bushes fitted , cleaned up and polished Dogbone (Am I OTT or what)

OTT or ANAL, will look nice for emergency services if you ever roll it :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Superpro on mine, have since fitted THS engine mounts, massive difference to the way power is put down and the way the car feels, engine feels part of car not something just put upfront.