Octavia 1.4 tsi

Hi all are there any owners of the 1.4tsi octavia hatch who can give their views on the car and running cost eg mpg as have seen one I'm interested in and would like some impartial views rather than the usual dealer speall.

Many Thanks

I have a 1.4tsi, albeit the estate version. I have found it to be an excellent car, my only complaint being that I find the seats to be too firm, making long journeys somewhat uncomfortable. With careful driving I am achieving an average of 40mpg on a mixture of town driving and dual carriageways.

Hope that helps,

Dave.

I have a 1.4tsi, albeit the estate version. I have found it to be an excellent car, my only complaint being that I find the seats to be too firm, making long journeys somewhat uncomfortable. With careful driving I am achieving an average of 40mpg on a mixture of town driving and dual carriageways.

Hope that helps,

Dave.

Slightly off topic but if yo find the seats uncomfortable then I would recommend spending a bit more time adjusting it.

Mine was a bit at first but after playing around it was fine. Even on very long trips of more than 400 miles.

I have a 1.4.tsi elegance which is just 3 years old with only 18k on the clock. The vast majority of my motoring is local urban driving with most trips less than 10 miles. I always brim the tank and keep detailed records of my consumption which at the moment is 35.6. The good news is that when I take it for a proper drive the improvement is very good. Last Augusts trip to Cornwall, about 1000 miles it recorded 46 which I thought was pretty good. The car itself is very good and a pleasure to drive. The only problem I have had was a leaking water pump which was repaired under warranty.

Hope this helps

Martin

Hi Smudger64,

I had one for 12 months so recon that's fairly impartial as I no longer have it! Mine was a 61 plate SE plus and I did 6k in the year I had it. According to the maxidot it averaged around 44mpg during that time (I never did any actual calculations), So I guess in reality it was closer to 40mpg allowing for a little 'optimism' by the VW computer, which is good for a petrol car that size. It was our second car, so never got used for commuting, but did a mix of mostly short journeys or long trips over 80 miles. On the longer ones (mostly motorways) I used to get maxidot readings of about 49-51 mpg each trip (Typical example Worcestershire to Northampton & return), but drove conservatory and mostly within the speed limits. Personally I liked the car, it was quiet and a pleasure to drive, the only downside for me was that IMO it lacked 'real world' overtaking power between 40 and 70 on normal A roads - it was very nippy up to about 40, but to get it to overtake other vehicles above this speed you had to give it the beans. That may be down to me and my driving style, so I'd suggest you try this out for yourself on a decent test drive if you think that could be a problem.

You've not said what spec it is- The SE plus had a good set of extras above the SE which I found useful inc sat nav, Multi function steering wheel, bluetooth, reversing sensors, different trim and different alloys

As an overall observation I'd say you'll struggle to find an equivelent car that's got as good a build quality and performance for the money. Insurance is low too, which always helps!

Next step up performance wise would be the 1.8TSI (which I would have considered when I decided to change mine, but they're not available new on the MKII anymore), those that have them seem to be very pleased, but they are not as common as the 1.4.

The test drive should help you decide if it's the car for you.

Best of luck

Ade

I too have a 1.4 TSI. I don't really want to comment on mileage since I haven't broken 2000km on it yet, but I love the engine. I'm coming from a 210hp Volvo so it's obviously a bit of a downgrade in terms of pure power, but it moves the car really well and pulls from almost 1000rpm without breaking a sweat. Best daily driver drivetrain I've ever had.

Thanks a lot for the good advice Ade. It is the se+ so has some kit and not a lot of miles.

Forgot to add the SE+ is already set up to pair your mobile via bluetooth and hands free is already installed in the car as well as being able to bluetooth your music via an MP3 etc. There's an SD card slot so you can put all your music on an SD card so you don't have to mess with the CD player. It's all accessed from the MFSW too so you can skip tracks change the volume and play the kids up no end! As Perc says it pulls from 1000 rpm and wants you in 6th by 40mph. The sat nav isn't the best in the world but it never let me down in 12 months- only problem I had was when I selected the wrong street with the same name as the 1 I wanted in Manchester Doh! the rear parking sensors are very useful and the trim and alloys are better than the SE IMO. As before a long test drive (With SWMBO and the kids in the car too if that's appropriate) so you can see what it'll be like in the real world will help you decide if the 1.4 is for you.

There arn't many SE+'s about and I never saw mine on the forecourt after I traded it in (The dealer must have had someone interested or someone snapped his hand off as it went in a matter of days- I went there regularly over the following weeks and never saw it again after I handed over the keys) as the extras you get over the cost of the SE make it an attractive proposition

Ade

Had mine for just short of 2 years (march) general consumption is around 34 - 36 on a 20 mile each way commute, (trip computer reading) and best ever was 50.7 (again trip reading) on a run to Inverness and back driving like a granny.

Road noise can be a bit of an issue, some on here claim the Dunlop tyre are to blame, these are due for a change soon so we will see, generally happy with her, plenty room (estate) comfy enough and for a 1.4 in a reasonable size body surprisingly drivable.

It is quite narrow though, the Octavia. Rubbing shoulders could be an issue if you're "big" and frequently have big passengers.

Edited by Perc

As Perc says it pulls from 1000 rpm and wants you in 6th by 40mph.

And if you go for a DSG, it'll simply be in sixth or even seventh by 40mph and you won't have noticed a thing. DSG rocks.

And if you go for a DSG, it'll simply be in sixth or even seventh by 40mph and you won't have noticed a thing. DSG rocks.

I have the 1.4TSi Estate Elegance DSG, I average 45ish mpg, got better but got bored driving like a granny! I agree the DSG is fantastic, 7th gear at just over tick over is amazing, any incline kicks down to 6th to maintain speed when on cruise control.

Nigel

Had a 1.4TSI Elegance manual hatch for 2 years and loved it. Only sold it because I got a company car. Brilliant engine, good fuel economy (regularly got low 40's on my short commute to work, and easily high 40's on a motorway run). I found mine one of the most comfortable cars I have owned. We've had two Scouts (one pre-FL, one FL) and neither of them have been as comfortable as my hatch. My only issue with the car was if it was loaded up with 4 people, then it could feel sluggish, but most of the time it was only me or a couple of us and it was absolutely fine. I was always planning on getting the 1,8TSI but when I went for a test drive they only had the 1.4, but after I'd driven there seemed little point in paying the extra for the 1.8 for what I needed at that time.

We do now have the 1.8TSI in our Scout and whilst it is a great engine, and has plenty of umph, it is rather thirsty. Obviously we have the 4wd which doesn't help, but we are getting low to mid 30's mpg tops.