VRS speedo stopped working + daft fuel needle

Car is a 03 reg Octavia VRS. Wifey takes car out, brings it back, now the speedo doesnt work, so the odometer and trip computers dont work, and the fuel gauge changes by 1/4 tank depending which way you corner.

I have the EML Light on again, with code 16891 on VCDS Lite.

I have googled this, and it appears to potentially be a broken wire under the battery area, which I intend to investigate tomorrow. Can anyone suggest anything else to check while I am at it, as it seems a pain in the bum to have to replace battery and everything else to test drive the car to see if it works, and if not, to remove it all again. While I am under there, I may as well check every known fault!

Ta muchly

Mine does this every now and then - usually the fault is something along the lines of it having communication trouble with the central convenience ecu. Its a rare occurrence though and usually after having left the car off and locked for a couple of hours it will be fine the next time.

Ok, so i have replaced the speed sensor on the gearbox (£26 from TPS) and its no better. I have 12v on the power and the ground is good . Obviously I cannot check the pulse wire unless car is moving, so based on the fact the sensor is new, I am assuming it is a broken wire (blue/white) between the sensor and the ECU. This is my next step - to locate the wire further up the loom, try to find any breaks and bridge to check if working. Any other suggestions?

I've traced the wire back to the loom and the plug on the nearside inner wing. There is no break in the wire - applied 12v and checked at the plug on gearbox and its fine. I am now stumped. Anyone got any ideas please? I really dont want to have to change the clocks or pay an auto electrician if i can help it

Scanned car with VCDS Lite - I now get error code 16885 - speedo inoperable. I have checked power and ground feeds to the sensor, and replaced the sensor in the gearbox. I have broken into the loom under the battery, and have no wire breaks between there and the sensor in the pulse wire (blue/white) as I checked it with 12v and it goes to the sensor fine. I figure it now must be a break in the wire between the loom under the battery and the ecu / cluster, or the cluster itself. Fuse 7 checked and working, reverse lights working too. Any suggestions please? Anyone?