Petrol cap door flap

Just been at petrol station and usually I just press the flap and it opens about an inch ,today never moved had to open with my.finger nails is there a spring or something that might have frozen or needs replacing.?

Hiya,

Was the car fully unlocked (ie press the unlock button on the centre console). If not and it's just the selective drivers door unlocking that's taken place the flap won;t open.

I have seen mine freeze but that was below -10C. doubt it's cold enough right now.

As Aspman says, the flap locking mechanism can freeze. In the 2010/2011 winter mine couldn't be "popped" into the closed position for about ten days whilst the temperature was between a balmy minus 5 Celsius and a distinctly nippy minus 20.5 Celsius. As soon as the temperature rose to near freezing it sorted itself out.

Were you able to close it again normally?

Kind regards

Ian

Cheers guys,I sprayed the rubber which I pressume is around a small spring with wd40 left it about 10 mins and hey presto its working normally again must have frozen ,never done this before and I have had car from New in 08.

Yep, can be an issue when temps are below zero. Best is to spray the rubber with silicon grease spray and also behind the rubber, so the spring is kept protected as well.

Did that when I got this one and never had a problem, and it's been down to -10 when I've needed to fill up before now.