Help! Coolant sensor connector is broken.

spember

Hiya

I posted a question a few days ago about the intermittent problem with the coolant level alarm light on my Fabia Estate 1.4 (2002) which kept coming on - and following great advice, I set about replacing the expansion tank today. I got one from ECP)

All went well until the very end, when I came to re-attach the sensor/connector which plugs into the expansion tank. No way would it go back in! I did press firmly on the top and bottom clips, but one side in particular would not go more than half way in.

I re-tried it on the old expansion tank (which was pretty filthy by the way) and it would no longer fit back on there either.

Looking closely, I think one of the terminals of the connector may be damaged. (The ones that connect with the 'prongs' inside the tank.)

I'm just trying to find out what this 'connector' part that plugs-in is called, in order to replace it. The pictures I've seen of 'coolant sensors' look nothing like what I'm talking about.

Any help appreciated!

Many thanks

The plastic connector has a part number on it. You can get a new plastic connector from VW or TPS together with a length of wire with the metal terminals on each end. A nifty bit of cut and soldering covered with some heat shrinkable sleeving will see the repair wire connected to the main loom.

Where are you located?

SN

Hi.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I did take a look at the part number on the connector, but I'm not sure I took it down correctly, (1J0 979 202) as I guess the '1' & '0' could also be letters or numbers? I couldn't find any reference to it on any parts search - but I'm probably not looking in the right places!

I'll do as you suggested and contact VW / TPS and ask them. Otherwise, I did notice the same year/model as mine advertised as being 'broken' on ebay - & wondered if that might be worth a shot. (I'm located in Hemel Hempstead by the way.)

I know it's not critical, as I can still use the car - but I'm a complete novice at this and so I would like to finish what I started!

Many thanks once again

I think that your nearest TPS is Milton Keynes. There is a bloke called Diddy there and he is very knowledgable, he's the one who helped me out of a similar problem with my reversing light connector.

SN

Afraid the connector which is damaged is the 'female' section - so nothing I can get at to bend or adjust. (Looks like one of the pins has been pushed further back into the body than it should be)

I called TPS though, (not MK branch initially) and they say they can order the part (I made a mistake with one of the digits on my first look - 973, not 979) - They just call it a 'block connector' apparently, so I shall contact 'Diddy' as advised and hopefully get one ordered.

Many thanks again for help & replies.

S.