low or no voltage coming from cigarette lighter

My ciggy lighter is not working with the actual lighter unit, but when I plug my usb phone charger in the blue light on the usb charger lights up but my phone doesn't charge...is there low power as the light illuminates ?

Anybody got any ideas ?

Many thanks guys !

Not sure if it's the fuse as nothing else as stopped working...

Which fuse would it be ? Better go and have a look just in case it's cooked...

Edited by studmuffin

Do you have a Voltmeter with you that you can use to check the Voltage across the pins in the Lighter? Are you sure the Phone Charger is alright, does it work fine on any other Car?

Well I've tried another phone charger in the car and that's stopped working as well, there is 12v but maybe too much amperage that's causing everything to blow?

Try something simple first before you dismantle anything.

Put a cloth around on the end of a stick, wet it with meths (or better still electrical contact cleaner if you can get it), stick it down into the socket and press & scrub it around. Test when dry.

If this doesn't work, then hopefully someone will be able give guidance on dismantling.