Vrs issue

Good evening.

I own a 54plate Fabia vrs with 61k on the clock. I commute 110 miles a day and have done 40 of the 61k miles myself. The car is always serviced correctly etc.

Just recently I have noticed a significant drop in both my tank range and average mpg. My driving conditions have not changed. I have also noticed a slight dip in power and my turbo is making like a whooshing noise when it spins up. I also get a big plume of smoke on initial cold start up.

My theory was perhaps my injectors may need looking at and perhaps the bearings are going in my turbo?

I just want an idea of what's what before I take a day off work to look at it or book it into a garage.

Thanks in advance

Martin

Sounds like a small boost leak, has it ever gone in to Limp mode? I.e no power and won't rev over 1500k or something??

Hi, no it has never done this. I suspected a boost leak but I used to have a Tdci mondeo and when that had a boost leak it was a much bigger loss in power from why I'm having in my vrs

Define and quantify "big drop".....always helps to put some kind of figure on it ? 5 mpg drop ? 10? 20?

Maybe the cars just getting older...mine is probably a bit like this. I did have one time I got 70mpg when it was new and behind lorries and I was doing about 60mph on motorway.

I honestly don't check the exact mpg nowadays as to be honest more concerned with the performance and that its running well but it has probably dropped a bit but I think I reckon I could perhaps still get 60 with careful driving if Im lucky

I don't get what you describe a big plume but do get some smoke on startup (does everybody?) not enough to be embarrasing but enough to notice but only on startup from cold and quickly disappears.

Does sound worse than mine though and mines done even more miles. Question for the experts - could it be something to do with the turbo seals perhaps ? The key thing in the meanwhile I would reckon is just to keep checking oil frequently and never let it drop too low

I've been "worrying" about my turbo (i.e. listening out and imagining problems) for at least 1k miles and will probably get another 20k before it packs up! So I take it the Brummy saying, aint broken dont fix it (yet) isnt an option then

Boost leak! All boost leeks will be different. I've had around 5 different boost leaks over the last 9 yesrs and everyone sounded different and had varying degrees of power loss.

Put the car up on a car ramp and rev it hard ( best done in neutral) and listen and locate leak. Fix leak.

Boost leak! All boost leeks will be different. I've had around 5 different boost leaks over the last 9 yesrs and everyone sounded different and had varying degrees of power loss.

Put the car up on a car ramp and rev it hard ( best done in neutral) and listen and locate leak. Fix leak.

That's the interesting thing. The noise is only there when the car is under load. I revved the car on idle and no noise.

In terms of the drop I used to easily get 460 miles before light. Now it's around 380. Trip computer I averaged around 56-58 mpg now it's 49-51 mpg.

Sounds like a small boost leak, has it ever gone in to Limp mode? I.e no power and won't rev over 1500k or something??

Sorry to barge in, a few times while ony motorway my turbo stops goin and wont rev over 1500k , turn engine off and on and its fine, i assumed it was overheating or overworked , sound like this limp mode. What is wrong and what can be done?

Sorry to barge in, a few times while ony motorway my turbo stops goin and wont rev over 1500k , turn engine off and on and its fine, i assumed it was overheating or overworked , sound like this limp mode. What is wrong and what can be done?

Thread Hi-jacker ;)

Martin 251184 - I would also say boost leak too.