Fitting new seats

Stu_pot

Right then people, hoping you can help me out and save me from looking like a total tool in front of the missus. I have aquired a set of black seats from a mk4 golf. I thought I would start on the rears as that was where I understood the most work would occur. I fitted the small base in seconds. Brilliant, easy job!

Next came the small back which clicked in the bottom ok, however the brace halfway up the back was in totally the wrong position. Then I went to fit the large base and back where all the fittings were in the wrong place.

I am after guidance now as I know some people have done and I'm wondering how.....

So i went off in a mood and fitted my LCR splitter instead. Still dont know if i'm keeping this car or selling it as the interior and leak doors are doing my head in!

Bigdeano has done a bodge job iirc.

I had mine reupholstered. £70 it cost me but happy with it. I did get a cheaper quotes but i needed it doing quickly

Good idea to try and source the back bench sections from a scrap yard. Ibiza 6l, polo 9n or fabia 6y & MKII fabia.

• Like 2

Pastyboy has wedged some Golf GT/GTI recaro seats in to his car, the backs needed re upholstering from what I understand, and the front seats had to be removed from the seat pans and attached to fabia ones, but no re upholstering was needed on the front.

Edited by tricey777
  • Like 1

I did 80% of mine with intervention for a "professional" to recover the larger rear back rest.

All details are here in the thread but simplest intructions I can write are as follows:

Front Seats

• remove back rest from Golf seats
  • remove foam from Golf base metal work
  • Bin Golf base metal work
  • remove back rest from Fabia seat
  • remove foam from Fabia base metal work
  • put Golf foam on Fabia base
  • Attach Golf back rest to Fabia base metal work.
  • put back in car
  • repeat for drivers sides

Rear Bench

• remove metal frame from under Golf seats
  • throw frame away
  • remove metal frame from under Fabia seats
  • put Golf foam and material onto fabia frame
  • put back in car
  • Repeat on other section

Rear Back Rests

small part

• remove material and foam from Golf metal work
  • Throw away Golf metal work
  • remove material and foam from Fabia metal work
  • put Golf foam and material on Fabia metal work
  • put back in car

large part

• remove material and foam from Golf metal work
  • throw away Golf metal work
  • remove material and foram from Fabia metal work
  • take Fabia metal work and Golf material and foam to an upholsterers
  • They will make minor amendments to the sizing and patch over the extra seat belt and head rest holes
  • receive back put in car

• Like 3