ABS Sensor woes....

Had the ABS / ESP / TPM lights coming on at around 60mph then staying on for rest of journey.

VCDS showed the following;

'2 Faults Found

00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor, Rear Right (G44) 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor, Rear Right (G44) 003 - Mechanical Failure'

Have fitted a new sensor and now the ABS / ESP / TPM lights come on at around 15mph and stay on for most of the time except for the odd few seconds where they go off, which it didn't do before?!

Had to get a drill bit wrapped with emery paper to clean up the sensor hole as it was rusted up so much.....Could there be crap on the ring in the hub maybe as a result?

Any ideas before I change the wheel bearing / hub?!

Cheers,

Peter

On my car the ABS/ESP/TPM lights came on while driving at speed then when restarting the car sometimes all three would be on straight away, other times no lights would be on but then shortly after I set off the ABS light would come on followed almost immediately by the TPM/ESP lights. This was what VCDS was showing:

2 Faults Found

00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46) 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46) 003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent

In my case it was a corroded ABS sensor ring which the mechanic had predicted as he said he's seen a few on my age of car, he showed me the ABS ring and it did look messy - how does yours look?

John

Hi John, I've not actually taken anything apart enough to see the ring itself, guess that's the next thing to do. Wonder if these rings are ever salvageable by giving them a good wire brushing?!

Has anyone successfully managed to clean the abs ring?

When I remove the new ABS Sensor it has already been scored slightly on the tip as if crap has been rubbing on it. If I remove the hub what is there to clean? Are these magnetic type toothed?

Don't like driving around with no ABS or ESP. Car tax this month so my cash has had to go on that....... :swear:

I meant to take a picture of my old hub and clearly it would have been handy to have here so you could see how it looked compared to yours. It is a magnetic tooth type as far as I'm aware and on mine parts of the ring had flaked away and clearly the rest would do so as well. I generally find my mechanic pretty good in that if there's a fix for something without needing a part he will offer it as an option but this time the only option he offered was a new hub with no mention of cleaning although my hub may have been worse than yours. That's by no means definitive - just posting my experience.

John

I've had the same problems and when i tried to remove the rear right sensor I accidentally damaged the ring on the hub - oops!

After trawling the internet I found a hub for £33 -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111010041894?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Then I found this very useful guide on how to do the job -

http://www.njnoordhoek.com/?p=905

It was an excellent guide and I managed to do the job in about 2.5 hours (including a clean up of any parts removed).

You will need special spline tools (M14 & M18) to undo the caliper mounting bracket and the hub bolt. I bought these and was impressed by the quality -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200744387698?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Unfortunately the new sensor I had put on may be defective as I've still got the 2 abs amber warning lights on. Gonna try and get it scanned with VCDS to see what fault it comes up with.

It is recommended that if you remove the hub bolt you should replace it. To view the hub sensor ring you can just see it through a small gap from underneath, you can also see the wheel sensor.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Great post there ScubaTim, many thanks! I'd found the hub on eBay but for nearer £40 so there's a saving and although I'd watched a video on YouTube you can;t beat a guide for the actual car model you're working on! Really grateful, thank you :beer: :beer:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did do the 180nm and then 180 degrees but that wheel didn't spin freely and was getting hotter than the other side so I undone the hub bolt and re-checked the setting. This time did 180nm and then just over 90 degrees. The wheel was spinning easier and not getting hot. No rim rock at all so hopefully it'll be ok.

As far as sensors go - The 1st sensor I bought for rear right was from e-bay (about £10). Did a VCDS scan courtesy of Rally_Chris which showed rear right and rear left intermittent sensor fault. "Bit the bullet" and bought OEM sensors from skoda at £71 each and they have sorted the problem and my amber abs warning lights have gone out! Yippeeeee!!! At Last.

The cheap sensors are obviously not of the right spec. So all together cost me about £220 but now my brakes work properly. :happy:

Top tip though if you are playing about with ABS sensors, when you get one out - clean the hole up and then put some copper grease in the hole to stop it rusting again. Makes it easier to remove next time.

Any questions please ask before paying out loads at the dealer!!