1.9PD DSG 1100rpm rattle- Found to be air intake

Hey there folks.

Just after a bit of advice before I give the dealer a ring.

Done a load of searching but can't find anything that matches my problem.

Basically at pretty much bang on 1100rpm there is a rattle/vibration noise. It dissapears at about 1300rpm

This happens either at idle when the engine is revved or when driving.

It sounds worse when cold than when warm.

It's annoying as when in crawling traffic and you just tickle the throttle it will sit at about 1100rpm in second and you can hear the vibration.

Any ideas?

I'm going to get someone to rev the car slightly and have a listen underneath and under the bonnet.

The car recently went in to have a squeek on start-up. They originally said that the squeek sounded like DMF failure but then after having it they removed and re-greased the starter and it went away. The squeek has now returned.

Mileage is approx 21,000 miles.

Phil

EDIT:

Now found this to be the air intake. Also dug up this old thread with people reporting the same:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/97128-resonating-sound-from-engine/page__hl__+air%20+intake%20+rattle#entry1819133

I'd say DMF, but 21,000 miles is pretty early to be having problems......even on the DSG with it's DMF made of play dough.

My DMF on the 2.0 TDI DSG makes similar noises, although it rattles at idle and tends to be quiet when drive is being transmitted.......but it's got 73,000 miles on it.

Otherwise, maybe a loose heat shield somewhere?

Otherwise, maybe a loose heat shield somewhere?

I was leaning towards this as the sound is exactly the same whether at idle or in gear and driving along.

Either way I'm not too worried as it should be covered under warranty but just wanted to guage whether there would be enough time to get it sorted by 6th March (when we drive to Germany).

Phil

Probably a good idea to check out the heat shield first - the circular spring retaining clips are prone to failure. Fortunately they only cost a few pence each.

If that doesn't sort it then could be DMF?

Dave

I was leaning towards this as the sound is exactly the same whether at idle or in gear and driving along.

In that case you can probably rule out the DMF. From what I read of DMF failure, any rattles they make when in N or P, stop when you put it in gear.

Good luck with tracking down the source of the rattle. Hopefully it will be fairly obvious when you get under there while someone revs the engine.

Had something very similar on my 4x4 just a few weeks ago. Buzzy vibration/resonance starting at just over tick over and stopping at about 1200 rpm ish.

Turned out it was part of the air intake between the back of the radiator and the front of the box with the air filter in it. Had been wondering about it for ages and realised what it was when I was dropping a new battery in.

Mark.

• Like 1

Had something very similar on my 4x4 just a few weeks ago. Buzzy vibration/resonance starting at just over tick over and stopping at about 1200 rpm ish.

Turned out it was part of the air intake between the back of the radiator and the front of the box with the air filter in it. Had been wondering about it for ages and realised what it was when I was dropping a new battery in.

Mark.

You are an absolute bloody star!

Just went out and wriggled the air intake. It was a little loose so wedged it with a shopping bag.

Started the car and revved it and no more noise. Removed the bag... noise came back!

That's definitely the cause just need to work out how to fix it. Any ideas? I can't really leave the shopping bag in there! lol

Phil

No worries bud. It was doing my nut in and it was only when I was putting the new battery in that I spotted it. I just bunged a couple of cable ties right round it (hard to explain exactly how) and that seems to have shut it up. Not pretty but I will figure out a better option in time.

My 1st thoughts were either DMF or undertray too. (especially having a 4x4 with the metal tray).

Nothing better than sorting a potentially expensive problem for nothing!

Mark.

Very easy to check. Start engine and rev to 1100rpm to check noise is definitely there. Then wedge something against the air intake (I used an Aldi fabric shopping bag!) then rev again... if the noise goes then there's your problem!

Got mine booked in for 18th March. Earliest they could do was next Wednesday but that's when we go to Germany.

Wanted it sorting before but I guess It can wait.

Success !!!

You know I was convinced the DMF was broke. I just folded some paper up several times and pushed it between the plastic air intake and the metal surround. No more buzz at 1100 rpm !!

Phew thanks, one less thing to worry about.

Success !!!

You know I was convinced the DMF was broke. I just folded some paper up several times and pushed it between the plastic air intake and the metal surround. No more buzz at 1100 rpm !!

Phew thanks, one less thing to worry about.

Brilliant! Seems like it is very common then.

I too was convinced it was DMF until I realised that it did it in gear as well.

I too might stick some paper between it and the body as a temporary fix until it goes to garage as it will annoy me knowing it will still do it when we go away.

Phil

• 1 year later...

Just thought I would update this thread incase it's helpful to anyone else.

So I had this "fixed" back in March 2013 by the dealer. All was fine then I started hearing a noise again.

I was convinced it was the DMF this time around!

Then on saturday I took the front bit of the intake off and the nosie went away.

No signs of anything ever having been "fixed" so no idea what the dealer did.

I removed the bit that attatches to the front slam panel and put some halfords clear edging strip between the intake and slam panel.

Then unclipped the box that attaches to this and put insulation tape along the seem as it was very loose and rattly. I also put take round the intake where it connects to this box and used a couple of self tapping screws to tighten everything up.

Noise completely gone!

Hopefully this is fixed for good now.

Phil

Plus one for this fix. It's been driving me nuts for a long time. I raised this some time back on this forum, but never solved the vibration. I took the car to my friendly independent and he spent an hour checking underneath and pulling and prodding, eventually to admit defeat.

I tested the cure by placing a large piece of foam on the air intake and closing the bonnet, trapping the foam and securing the air intake. Problem solved! I haven't left the foam there!

Yet again, the forum cures faults other people can't find!