changing coolant temp sensor

Hi there, I have been having a lot of rough idling on cold mornings and the red coolant warning light and beep intermittently. I have ordered a genuine Skoda green temp sensor. I know there are lots of threads on this, looking at this guide it seems simple enough:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/244609-how-to-replace-coolant-temperature-sensor/

How easy a job is it to do? My concern really is with it being on a coolant line, accessing the U-clip and getting that off without snapping it. By the looks of things that holds the sensor in and I don't have a spare one. I just have a new 'O' ring that came with the sensor.

I've changed spark plugs and a rocker gasket on my Ford Focus if that helps, wouldn't say I'm mechanically competent though!

That guide is really good.

I've found that the connector can be a pita to get off sometimes when doing it in situ so I always do it by having the new sensor ready & just pulling the old one out, & quickly putting the new one in securing with the C clip then taking the connector off the old one which is easy once the cts is out then fitting it to the new sensor in situ. Hope that makes sense.

Well...I just changed this sensor!

The most difficult thing was getting the wiring clip out of the old sensor (I put the new sensor in situ by this point).

I then fumbled putting the top engine cover screws in and dropped one. It seemed to go straight down but is nowhere to be found, so thats only held on by 3 screws. I will have to scour ebay for some replacements but that is no biggie.

It could be psychological but putting the green sensor on, although not cold outside the engine seems smoother at idle when started and seems to drive smoother as well. The average MPG seems to go up very quickly beyond 20mpg to nearer 30 after a couple of miles where it seemed very low before.

I was getting the red coolant temperature warning beeps/light on virtually a daily basis.

Time will tell.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I have replied to this thread for a bit of advice. 2 days ago on a cold morning I had the coolant light on again!

The level is fine. I have tried scraping the prongs in the expansion bottle with a flat blade and it hasn't come back yet.

Is it likely to be a level sensor as well, if so is it easiest replacing the expansion bottle which comes with a sensor?

I am due a cambelt/waterpump in the next 2 weeks so I imagine coolant will get dropped then...