Oil filler cap tight

I have found that over the last few months the oil filler cap on my 2009 170 CR has been very difficult to remove, very tight, have checked and cleaned the cap and fitting, no sign of damage. Is this a common problem? Have ordered new cap.

I've always had to use molegrips to get the sodding thing off. But then I work in an office so have lady's hands

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 2

Likewise.

Thought I'd check mine at weekend for condensation/emulsion as its been cold and plenty short trips last couple months. Took some persuading but came off in the end, all OK inside. Hadn't expected it to be that tight.

I guess with use over time it'll loosen up a little as the seal flattens.

I guess with use over time it'll loosen up a little as the seal flattens.

Don't bank on it. Nearly 6yr later it's as tight as new.

Mine is the exact same absolute pain in the backside to open, I even replaced it with an R8 oil cap there but doesnt seem to have made a difference.

Thank God that its not just me though seems to be common enough a problem

Collected new cap yesterday , part number 06C 103 485 , fitted it yesterday , tried it this morning, as difficult to get off as the old one, so the cap is not the problem, will carry mole grips in car !

At the risk of thread deviation, reminds me of the opposite situation few years back.

Often had hire cars delivered to home and left early evening after work to do long journeys (miss traffic). Normally check ,oil, tyres, other fluids etc as no one should trust any hire company. This particular time very late home from work, so having wanted to reach destination before midnight didn't check! After about 150 miles oil light comes on, pull over, strong smell hot oil, lift bonnet to find several litres liberally sprayed over engine compartment - filler cap entirely missing :wall: . Could get oil from services but not a temporary filler cap that would hold. Called hire company, got towed to nearest depot and given new car. Arrived destination about 1.30am! So better a tight filler cap than none at all :thumbup:

Needless to say that was the one and only time I didn't take the 10 minutes or so to check the state of a home delivered rental. You shouldn't have to I know, because in a dark airport rental lot you can't do it anyway, but hey ho another of life's little gems. Apologies for going off at a tangent :blush: