Correct oil grade and service standards/costs

matkel

Hi all

My 58 reg superb tdi 170 cr has come back from being serviced today from a skoda approved garage and have a couple of queries regarding the service that I'm hoping someone could help with. The cars done 39k and is just over 4 years old. I was quoted (and paid) £299 for this full inspection service (cambelt was done separately last month) which I assumed would include the brake fluid change however, this has not been done despite it last being done two years ago, so think I'm correct in assuming it was due? Also, on the invoice they've put the they've used 'PD Oil 5w/40' which I'm not sure is correct? I thought only 5w/30 oil should be used on cr engines with a dpf but no expert so again would appreciate anyone's better knowledge. Car is on time/date service intervals rather than long life. Was £299 about right for this service? Thanks guys

Mine was also serviced this week, same year, same model, less miles. They used Castrol Edge Pro 5W3 priced at £15.55 per litre. Look online for the price of . I can get a 4-litre can of it from ASDA Direct for £37.00, €30 on Ebay. Skoda charged me £62.20 plus VAT in spite of their ability to get it for much less than I could. Plus, I had a i Litre bottle provided for topping up, for which I was, of course, also charged. What if I didn't want it? Why was it charged separately? The price was deducted from the charge of the service, I was told. Sounds like a profiteering scam to me. I know they've got to make money, but it's starting to look less and less transparent with every service. Getting disillusioned now. :(

Ray

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. To be honest Ray I'd rather be charged more and have the correct grade put in, than be charged less and have the incorrect stuff in, as am aware that the dpf could potentially clog much quicker with the wrong oil. Nice of them to 'assume' you wanted the extra 1 litre!

Huskoda - probably agree with needing to find a good independent, although the £299 did include oil, air, pollen and fuel filters as well as £3.44 + vat! of screen wash! I'm a bit miffed as, as per my original post I assumed that the £299 would also include the brake fluid change, especially as just had a look at my cambelt invoice from last month and on the technicians notes they even mentioned that the brake fluid was due to be changed.

The parts are about 100 total from the dealer if you buy them over the counter. I have also never had brake fluid, coolant or haldex oil included in a service even though they're stated in the requirements.

The small service is just the oil and filter. The large what you stated, assuming they actually did everything, which I have caught Leeds VW not bothering with, hence I went Indy.

Brake fluid change is in addition to the normal service charge, and recommended every 2 years. Air con service again is extra, as are dsg service, and haldex 4wd service if you have them.

If you don't want them to touch the screen wash, tell them before they work on your car. I've been told by vw that they flush and refill the washer jet system with the vag screen wash. I've never known for sure if they actually do.

Just had my 2nd service, 11 plate and 32400 miles cost £265 including pollen.

Did get a call to say wipers were smearing and they could replace for £65 + labour!

WTF? I hadn't noticed anything before but surprise the buggers are smearing like hell now!

Anyone know what the cost of wipers should be?

How's this? can't beat Bosch IMO. If these arn't the correct ones there's loads of others on ebay. Certainly not £65!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Flat-Wiper-Blade-Set-Aerotwin-A926S-for-Skoda-Superb-09-01-/370578832407?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5648383c17

Cheers

ade

How did you catch them Hu?

This was after we took SWMBO's Polo in for a proper service just after we bought it. A couple of months later, I was doing other work on the car and found that bolts were still rusted together, the air filter was ancient and full of dead leaves and bugs and the worst of it, the additionally paid for PAS fluid check and refill had zero evidence of being done, with the cap untouched, covered in years of grime and the fluid quite low. I did wonder at the time when I asked how much fluid there was in it when he checked it and he ummed a bit and said he can't remember.

I bought the valeo silencio "perfect fit" set 2 weeks ago from eurocarparts. Was £17.94 delivered, withe the Briskoda 25% discount.

Took 30 seconds to fit, after you put the wipers in service mode. Wonder what the main dealer would charge for 30 seconds of their time? It took me longer to open the packaging than to fit the blades.

As it's in the title of the thread, I want to buy a litre bottle of top-up oil as it's not provided as part of the service. I'm now on fixed service intervals: can anyone tell me the make, model and grade of oil to perfectly match what they've put in my car?

Dealer has quoted me £13.50.