Additional insurance when towing etc

Coops

I'm thinking of fitting a towbar to my leased company car (the Superb) - obviously I have to fund the fitment of the towbar and the subsequent removal at the end of the lease.

One of the condition in our company car policy is:

Insurance must be arranged on any towing equipment, i.e. caravan, trailer, etc. Only tow what is approved by the car manufacturer’s guidelines. In addition, any personal property fitted to the vehicle or towed by the vehicle will not be insured for loss or damage by the Company.

The car is fully funded and insured by the company, and I will be using the towbar mainly to carry bikes via a cycle carrier, the requirement for towing a trailer is going to be minimal, if not non-existent.

Do I need to take out a separate form of policy to cover the cycle carrier and bikes whilst I am carrying them? Would I be covered by house insurance for the bikes - guess I'll need to check my policy?

What happens if the bikes fall off and damage a third party vehicle - whose insurance would they claim off?

• 2 weeks later...

They would claim against you personally, as the driver of the vehicle.

Sorry for the delayed response - so I would need to take out a specific policy to cover myself? If so, what sort?