Hello all,

As a new sponsor to the forum we are going to be running a number of introductory offers to help spread our reputation among the Skoda crowd. We have been sponsoring and gaining superb feedback in the Audi world, with our custom maps from anything from a 90hp Diesel to a 700bhp RS4.

One of these offers is a remap for the 1.2TSI/TFSI engine. Power for both models increases to 125-130bhp with a nice gain in mid range torque, with no effect on cruise/stop start economy.

All maps are written in house by highly qualified engineers, and can be tailored to an individuals specific needs. For more details, see www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

Many thanks, Rick.

• Like 1

This could not of come at at better time im looking for a remap for my Monte 1.2tsi. Do you still have to remove the ecu to remap it? Also if you do, do you replace the security bolts?

Thanks

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

Shame these void warranty and some insurance companies wont allow them as I would like to have done this, but car is in warranty and my current insurance will not allow any modiforcations. :(

Regarding warranty, if the dealer decides they don't like it, the car can be put back to standard and the warranty is no longer void which is better than 1 strike and you're out.

Rick

That is not correct.

If a dealer refuses to do any warranty work because of a map, it can only refuse to void associated parts that the map impacts on, i.e the engine / drivetrain.

Once the warranty is void, it is void. It cannot be 'unvoided', as was highlighted recently on an Audi S4 over on RS246.com. The dealer pointed out that the extra workload had already been been excerted onto the engine / drivetrain and would always wear faster than had the map not been applied.

Simply reverting back to stock will not give you warranty back once the dealer has discovered the map.

That is not correct.

If a dealer refuses to do any warranty work because of a map, it can only refuse to void associated parts that the map impacts on, i.e the engine / drivetrain.

Once the warranty is void, it is void. It cannot be 'unvoided', as was highlighted recently on an Audi S4 over on RS246.com. The dealer pointed out that the extra workload had already been been excerted onto the engine / drivetrain and would always wear faster than had the map not been applied.

Simply reverting back to stock will not give you warranty back once the dealer has discovered the map.

When scanned, the modified ECU an set a marker on the Audi Database which signals car is modified. Audi HQ will not honour drivetrain warranty claims. The dealer can at their discretion. If the ECU is returned to original state, and read again by dealer, the marker is removed. This means you can take it to any dealer and warranty will be honoured by Audi UK. This is from investigation and personal experience. However, we have never had a car fail that requires warranty work as a result of a remap. Just water pumps, tensioners, that kind of thing.

Thanks, Rick

When scanned, the modified ECU an set a marker on the Audi Database which signals car is modified. Audi HQ will not honour drivetrain warranty claims. The dealer can at their discretion. If the ECU is returned to original state, and read again by dealer, the marker is removed. This means you can take it to any dealer and warranty will be honoured by Audi UK. This is from investigation and personal experience. However, we have never had a car fail that requires warranty work as a result of a remap. Just water pumps, tensioners, that kind of thing.

Thanks, Rick

Are you seriously saying that if an engine (or component) failed and warranty work was refused because of a map installed, you could simply revert back to stock and go to another dealer. That is what your original statement read as. Your second post is subtlely different but is still slightly misleading to someone not quite sure how the process works.

Lets be clear, most maps WILL void the drivetrain warranty. If they are undetected, and a lot are then all is good. However once discovered by a dealer during a claim it is very unlikely to have this claim approved reverting back to stock, with that dealer or any other - your VIN will be blacklisted

What I am saying is that the blacklist as you call it is fully automatic and changes depending wheter the last scan is detected as standard or not.

There are practical and ethical issues here. If a car has an engine component fail as a result of a map, then it's either because of a particularly bad calibration or because the tuner/owner has just pushed things too far. In that case, I wouldn't expect warranty to be honoured or be comfortable trying to deceive the warranty provider. I have Audi TTRS/RS3 owners running 500hp plus, these owners are under no illusions regarding warranty. Touch would, no issues yet!

The point I'd like to make is that jsut because your car has had a remap, don't be under the impression that suddently no warranty work will be honured, as that isn't the case.

Thanks, Rick

OK Rick I get what your saying, but that isn't what you implied in your first posts.

Secondly, engines (& components fail) whether mapped or not. So to say a mapped engine will only fail if 'pushed' or 'badly calibrated' after a map is wrong. However the engine failed, the dealer or VAG UK could wriggle out of the claim based on a detected map.

I am not niaive, and have had several maps on my cars. But you guys need to be completey transparent about the risks people take when putting maps onto their cars. Warranties are usually honoured (sometimes because the maps are hidden or the dealer doesnt look too hard). However warranties can be void if detected and it can be an expensive lesson.

I will be in the market for a map on my S5 in the next few weeks. I will choose the company which not only delivers great products but is also completely straight about the risks. I am sure many on here will agree with me too.

Not strictly "on-topic" as this is a Skoda forum but there was talk that VWRacing parts (and I think remaps) installed through an approved VW dealer included a "top-up" warranty such that if the VW warranty didn't pay up, this would as long as it was the VWR part was the reason for the declined claim... Heard this one when I had my Scirocco as people were making comment about the higher price from VWR for a part/map made by one of the usual suspects - and that was the reason why..

Bit like the Eibach suspension not voiding warranty if fitted at PDI by the UK dealer....

To be on the safe side I'd make the assumption, or accept, that if you remap a car under warranty, and then take the car into the dealers with the remap, expect that the warranty will be void on the ECU, and possibly engine.

Alternatively remove the map BEFORE taking it into the dealers of you are suffering an engine/ECU problem to be on the safe side.

Coming from someone who has experience of dealing with a mapped car under warranty :)