4x4 to rwd

SNH

Got a crazy idea for a new drift project so what I want to know is......

Can it be done?

Anyone tried it?

What's involved?

Obviously if its gonna be to expensive it won't happen.

If its viable then it will be an estate that I do it too :)

Would be possible though I do imagine that you'd need a different engine, box and rear diff. Possibly a transmission tunnel for the box, m3 running gear would be awesome lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

Yes Octavia hence why its in here lol.

Done the bmw drift thing already and plus they don't do a 4x4 car/estate

1 series, 3 series and 5 series all have models available with 4wd now. ;) I think it would be very difficult using the existing haldex drivetrain as the rear on that only activates after the front has lost traction on Generation 2 setup's. To achieve it Id reckon it would get very expensive very quickly...

Not in my budget or that would be any good for drifting they don't :)

Well I guess it'll be a worse story for the Octavia then as the systems arent too dissimilar but one is inherantly a rwd with some power to the front, Octy is fwd with some power to the rear. It'll be an expensive project.

The drivetrain isn't designed to transmit 100% of torque to the rear, so it would just break if you used existing kit.

Even if you replaced the prop shaft, rear diff, half shafts and uprated bearings you still have the tricky problem of what to do at the front end. Best bet would be to get an engine and gearbox out of a PL45 platform car (longitudinal engine).....

It's all just money at the end of the day! Cheap option is to buy another horrible old BMW (Touring) ;)

There's a guy building a 1.8T 4x4 Skoda Citigo, so I guess this is simple in comparison!

Got a crazy idea for a new drift project so what I want to know is......

Can it be done?

I recon so, in theory at least

Anyone tried it?

Nope - to the best of my knowledge - vw vortex would be good place to look

What's involved?

Removal of front driveshaft

Removal and bypassing of rear pto final drive gearing to allow all torque through propshaft

Removal and bypassing of haldex clutch connecting propshaft directly to rear bevel gear

- the haldex central/transaxle unit is one casing - so opening up would be required to remove haldex clutch plates and insert an new prop section would probably be easiest.

Attempting to lock the haldex clutch wouldn't last long - you'd burn the clutch plates out quickly.

For a drift car, then welding up or removal and bypass of rear transaxle open-diff

Ballasting of car to make it at 50/50 weight distrobution, maybe even a bit tail heavy

Remove/disconnect ABS/ASR/all other driver electronic aids

internals of a haldex unit for ref:

DSC_8519.jpg

Obviously if its gonna be to expensive it won't happen.

If its viable then it will be an estate that I do it too :)

Some custom fabrication would be required, alot of time and effort

The biggest uncertainty I can think of, is whether the tri-pto gearbox (heart of Audi Quattro system) will send all torque to the rear take-off if no load is being exerted on the front two take-offs

^^ cunning :giggle:

Using a 6spd box might be easier than using a 5spd box, as I think the 6spd has separate detachable final drive unit - when I was last looking at my spare 5spd box it looked like the final drive as integrated into the design - don't quote me of this though

The drivetrain isn't designed to transmit 100% of torque to the rear, so it would just break if you used existing kit.

Even if you replaced the prop shaft, rear diff, half shafts and uprated bearings you still have the tricky problem of what to do at the front end. Best bet would be to get an engine and gearbox out of a PL45 platform car (longitudinal engine).....

It's all just money at the end of the day! Cheap option is to buy another horrible old BMW (Touring) ;)

There's a guy building a 1.8T 4x4 Skoda Citigo, so I guess this is simple in comparison!

Nothing wrong with old bmw's but I've already but a coupe and had it written off!

Looks like I could be going the 328 touring route after all.