hid kit for octy vrs mk 1

does anyone no of any hid kits that fit the mk1 octy vrs and what problems may arise when fitting or if any other parts are required before fitting all help is much appreciated thanks guys

what is ilegal about them mate sorry i just dont no as looking to get a legal light upgrade as mine are quite dim on the motorway at night

You need headlight washers, projector lenses and self levelling. Most people just get projectors and leave it at that.

Why not look at an updated Halogen solution? Philips Blue Vision or Osram Nightbreakers..

does sound good you have any links to any that are suitable and what i may need with them or if they do a kit suitable

what is ilegal about them mate sorry i just dont no as looking to get a legal light upgrade as mine are quite dim on the motorway at night

Pretty sure it's a MOT failure now if not self levelling & no washers.

Pretty sure it's a MOT failure now if not self levelling & no washers.

This has been covered before. There are cars out there with factory HIDs that don't have headlight washers or self levelling mechanisms, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to suddenly fail their MOT.

This has been covered before. There are cars out there with factory HIDs that don't have headlight washers or self levelling mechanisms, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to suddenly fail their MOT.

plus h4 halogen bulbs, even uprated ones, are not anywhere near as bright as decent xenon/hids.

Hids direct

Mine

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/h4-hi-lo-beam-35w-canbus-hid-conversion-kit/

New version i beleve

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/h4-hi-lo-beam-twin-relay-canbus-pro-hid-conversion-kit/

Job jobbered

And a friendly mot guy

Just cos its not legal it doesnt mean its not done ;)

I may have even been known to sneak over 30 in a 30 zone

This can of worms has been opened indeed more than once :D

Some love

Some hate

Good

Vs

Evil

Yes and no

Do and dont

There will be strong views

Simple thing is

Do u want really bright lights and want to spend £65 or so ;)

• Like 2

For H4, I would put uprated halogens in, glare from H4 HIDs will upset just about everyone driving in opposite lane.

Osram Nightbreaker Plus H4, or Philips Extreme H4 will give you good results, or if you want lower price at expense of durability, there's Ring and a lot of Chinese brands

For good HID conversion, you really need projector style lamps (with lens/screen instead of just reflector shaping the beam) .

h4 uprate bulbs are still useless however...

not all hids cause glare, it just depends on the type, how they are fitted and the actual headlamp units.

you can get bulbs with an ® on them, this means they have a reflector over the bright bit in the hid kit to stop/reduce glare.

I used to play quite a lot with HIDs and travel at night for over 50% of my Mk1 Superb's mileage, and have yet to see a successfull reflector style low beam headlamp HID conversion, one that does not increase glare significantly.

Yes, there are D2R bulbs, but they are at best adequate in purpose-built HID reflector lamps, such as on some Asian cars. Make not much difference for the retrofits. H4 is dual beam and that makes things even worse when it comes to converting to HID.

With Osram/Philips H4 halogen, at least you can put a soft starting voltage booster on the high beam filament and have a further improved high beam (about 2x-3x more light, at cost of high beam longevity, but then it is not used that much) .

Low beam H4 fitted with high output halogen bulb is still better than the H7 projectors found on later cars (though H7 projectors convert to HID much more easily and with invariably good results), so I would stick to halogens and just make sure the beam is adjusted correctly. VW cars come with -1.0deg beam setting, while MOT allows -0.5deg vertical, best to set beam to -0.7deg or so. This advice coming from someone with this setup currently on the car, and another set of 50W low beam H7 HIDs on the Roomster. Converting H4s to HIDs is a bad idea.

Edited by dieselV6

A friend of mine was pulled by the law for having hid kit. He was told they were illegal because they were 8000k bulbs. He bought a 6000k kit and went back to the police station and asked if they were legal. He was told as long as theyre not 8000k or above they are legal. He has no headlight washers or self leveling. Crafty gits put him on a list for front tinted windows and pulled him a week later. Lol.

sent from my Galaxy S2

my ring 120% ones are way better i did adjust the light pattern a tad when i got it tested so was spot on and i have fitted brand new headlamps and indicators start of last summer :p just looks better gen skoda too :)

In order of what is better, -

120% Ring (have them in my H4 reflectors) are better than standard, however, xenon in properly adjusted projector unit is way brighter if using 4300 - 5000k bulb and better than the 120% rings. I have used both on my vrs, and hid gets the nod in CORRECT headlamp units.

HID in reflector H4 units there is too much light scatter, which is guaranteed to annoy people in the other direction, just my opinions and observations, feel free to decide for yourself.