New Yeti

ben_m85

Hi All,

Thinking of getting a new Skoda Yeti. I'm from Australia! They don't seem overly popular over here, but from what i've read and seen on youtube they look to be great cars. I'm still tossing up between a 2011 Kia Sportage diesel, 2008 Land Rover Freelander 2 td4 and the Skoda Yeti 2.0 diesel. They only do the one diesel model of Skoda's in Australia, unless you custom order with extras. My main dilemma is off road capability, i'm rarely going to be driving off road, but want to be capable of driving on sand or through some mud. My other is getting use to the appearance of the Skoda. I'm still umming and arring about the front look of the Skoda. If it had head lights like the image attached I wouldn't have an issue, but it just seems a little "olden" so to speak. I'm a young bloke that wants something with some grunt behind it, so i'll be looking to put a diesel chip in it so I can get the most out of it. I've also seen on www.superskoda.com "eyebrows" which change the shape of the Skodas front lights. Theres a whole lot of parts i'd like to add to the car once purchased off the show room floor, chrome bits and pieces and the 4wd front and rear protector. I want it to look like an off road style of car.

Any suggestions about what car to go for (Obviously this is a Skoda forum and most will suggest the Skoda) I just want to have a real nice looking car as this will be the first new car i've purchased. My biggest worry also is that this shape and model of Yeti is a few years old now, i'd hate to buy this now and later on in the year or early next year a new shape is released!

Thanks for reading! Suggestions or comments are appreciated!

post-101053-0-63132600-1363253345_thumb.jpg

Hi Ben and welcome. You will have noticed, I'm sure, that Australia has a fair representation on the forum; you haven't indicated whether you're east, west or in the middle - care to edit your profile for us?

I'm going to be difficult :think: and suggest that you might be happier with one of the other ones you're looking at. Seems that one or two people here bought their Yetis either because spec was more important than appearance or because the quirky appearance actually appealed. If the looks bother you now, they always will - and it's probably not worth waiting for an upgraded/facelifted/relaunched or whatever version because none of the pics published so far have any real credibility so you might be disappointed again.

There - I said I was going to be difficult. Light the barbie and think it over; I'll be round with some tinnies in a mo :sun: .

• Like 1

I suspect Skoda will make the front of the new Yeti (whenever that will be) look like the front of the new Rapid / New Octavia....like VAG have done to all their cars. Can anyone tell the difference between them ?? The point is that Skoda may make the mistake of making the Yeti more mainstream and in doing so more bland...and bland it isn't.

In some respects I hope they do as it will make my car look more cool. Its a little odd at first but you will amazed how beautiful it looks after you have paid the cheque. The Yeti has classical looks (implying it will never go out of date) which cant be said about everything else on the market. Give me a MK1/MK2 Golf anyday over that bland looking nonsense of a new golf.

One thing I would add is that where ever I park it people are always having a good look around....but those people tend be of a certain age lets say. I have never seen younger person(accept myself)giving it admiring looks.

BYW..the front is the best bit. If you dont like the front you wont like the back.

I'm from Western Australia, Perth! Thanks for all your points raised. I never looked at it the way you describe MCAMRA - "The Yeti has classical looks (implying it will never go out of date)"

I took the 4x4 diesel for a test drive and was very impressed. The interior is very, very nice. My girlfriend was amazed by how it feels and drives from a passengers point of view. The vision out of all the windows is great.

I'm keen to know if anyone has put a performance chip in their cars and what terrain of off road they have taken the car too. I'm looking at the lava blue colour with some small upgrades along the way i.e. new rims etc.

I'm from Western Australia, Perth! Thanks for all your points raised. I never looked at it the way you describe MCAMRA - "The Yeti has classical looks (implying it will never go out of date)"

I took the 4x4 diesel for a test drive and was very impressed. The interior is very, very nice. My girlfriend was amazed by how it feels and drives from a passengers point of view. The vision out of all the windows is great.

I'm keen to know if anyone has put a performance chip in their cars and what terrain of off road they have taken the car too. I'm looking at the lava blue colour with some small upgrades along the way i.e. new rims etc.

Suggest you add the rough road package

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/217595-my-candy-white-tonka-toy/

It's a petrol but may give you ideas.

There are plenty of shots of Yeti's going off road, but not pounding down miles of washboard or hitting bull dust at speed. Just bear in mind it is definitely a car derived softroader, not a hardcore desert bolide.

Ah, Perth! Thanks!

A couple of videos to start you, but half an hour on youtube would be well spent

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjgQ3sb4evk

(this is the Forum Classic, featuring several of our own Yeti pioneers!)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDbuCcup1g8

(if you prefer the wet stuff)

If this is what you would expect to encounter frequently in a Yeti, ernieb's 'Rough Road Package' might be a good idea, but take note of nickguzzi's comments.

All I can say is buy the YETI and forget the Sportage. Well I would say that on a Skoda forum, but I followed the Yeti from its conception, right through the pregnancy and when it gave birth in the UK in September 2009, my dealer told me I was the 3rd person to order and I tell you what, I've never looked back. You can personalise once you get hold of one, and I'm beginning to see more of them about on the UK roads. Perhaps they've stopped hibernating after our bitter winter? Enjoy your Yeti if you're inclined to purchase one. I would, but I most definitely like the 'old' shape. It has more character for sure, but that's again just my opinion. Enjoy!

Yes I've spent much time on YouTube. The links you've sent show more than what I'd expect from a car like that. Without high/low range in the car, it's not something that should be expected to perform as such. I've already been searching for add on parts, ie chrome parts and accessories. I've been trying to google off road upgrade pack as I've seen in some photos that there is a push button on the dash under the stereo. Can this feature be added later once purchased? I can't find anywhere what upgrades can be ordered with the car. Here in Aus they're doing a special of $31,990 drive away, sounds pretty good, that's for the 103tdi auto DSG too!

The Yeti cannot have a chip fitted to improve performance but most can be remapped. Many owners on this Forum have had theirs remapped but I doubt you'd find a remapper in Australia.

Do you not have a choice of engine power in OZ models? The 170BHP ones are RAPID!

Fred

The Off Road pack is a stronger sump guard and various other extra protection pads.

The "Off Road Button" cannot be retro fitted. There is a good description of what this does in the brochure.

They only do the one model in Australia, 103kW with 320Nm of torque (not sure what this compares to in other terms)

http://www.chipmydiesel.com.au/products/diesel-chip-tuning/skoda/yeti-tdi/1468.html

http://www.chipexpress.com/products/skoda/yeti/

http://ecuchips.co.nz/cars-2/skoda/

http://www.torqit.com.au/cars-4wd/skoda.html

These are some of the chips i've seen that can be added. Whats the difference between remapping and adding a chip? From my understanding remapping redesigns the computer softwear in the engine to increase performance with no added parts, where a chip is an added part that is designed to alter the signal to enhance the performance?

Hi Ben, I must agree with what has been said. The Yeti is not a full on 4x4 and was never intended to be from my point of view, after all it is a SUV. However, if you view the many you-tube videos of the Yeti, you will see that it does perform very well. I have looked at possibly 10 or so videos from a variety of countries, including Russia and the Yeti does appear to perform well. I suggest that in most of these videos the Yeti was shod with winter tyres, which will improve the off road performance. Recenty I viewed a video that showed a toe to toe comparison between a a 2x4 Yeti shod with good winter tyres and a 4x4 shod with the standard road tyres. The 2x4 performed extremely well, which greatly demonstrated the advantage of good winter tyres. If you are planning on venturing into real boggy country the Yeti is not for you, but there are quite a few 4x4 that don't do too well either. The Suzuki Grand Vitari performs well and you should find some you-tube videos of its off road capabilities. By the way I bought a Yeti and am very happy with it. Do I go off road? Yes, but I am selective these days. I have done lots of beach work and seen a great deal of the outback on rough tracks in all states, except Tassie and would not expect the Yeti to go where I and many others have been.

By the way I test drove a number of SUVs last year before settling on the Yeti. I drove a Sportage about half an hour after driving a Yeti and found the driving experience disappointing when compared with the Yeti. The Yeti has excellently weighted steering, tracks exceedingly well and almost drives its self on the bitumen. You are doing the right thing in researching all avenues to assists you in making your decision. I have a few friends who have good off roaders and bought them for that reason, but hardly ever go off-road.

Wishing you happy trails and happy researching,

Banjobach

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not looking for a pure off road 4x4 car, thats why the Yeti is so appealing. I'm wanting something that would be capable of light off road duties. I realise it's not a land cruiser but don't expect it to be.

Just looking for a performance chip now :)

For Skoda Yeti, think in terms of the VW Golf that it's based on. If you are thinking of tuning, the Yeti engines are all basically standard VW group units. They are not necessarily the absolute latest engines, half a generation behind in most cases, but when it comes to tuning them any expert VW or Audi tuner with a good reputation will instantly recognise the engine and its electronics.

And don't forget that changing the engine map (or re-chipping) may invalidate your warranty, it certainly would in the UK. You'll need to check VW Group Australia's terms & conditions.

Edited by speedsport

I'll check that out, thanks for the tip.

I've put down my deposit. Subject to finance now... Nervous times. Hope i'll be happy. I'm salary packaging the car, so this is it for the next 5 years :S I'm sure I won't be disappointed