PD140 or CR170 for Taxi

Hi all

I'm just about to change my car to a Superb MKII

What engine would be recommended for taxi work, the PD140 or CR170?

Most of my work is long runs with a small amount of local work, I do over 50,000 miles a year.

Should I be concerned about the DPF at all?

Thanks for your help in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I can't give advice for original question as I am also considering changing to a superb II for taxi work. Should I go for the newer 1.6 tdi over the original 1.9 ? Compared to my current Octavia II, 1.9tdi I know the Superb will cost more on fuel. Should I try to extend my finances for the newer 1.6 ? And is a bit sluggish on the acceleration ?

Sorry I can't give advice for original question as I am also considering changing to a superb II for taxi work. Should I go for the newer 1.6 tdi over the original 1.9 ? Compared to my current Octavia II, 1.9tdi I know the Superb will cost more on fuel. Should I try to extend my finances for the newer 1.6 ? And is a bit sluggish on the acceleration ?

I use a 1.6 TDI Cr for taxi work, it is very punchy and is not sluggish at all, most of the time you forget It is a 1.6 and I came from a 57 plate 1.9 TDI octavia (classic) and it was powerfull and for my first few days with the superb it did feel not as fast but 2 or 3 weeks later I forgot the smaller engine. And my highest MPG was 60.3 according to the trip which was brill

I have a 170 CR as a cab I do about 30k a year mixed driving and get 48mpg on nearly every tank very pleased with the power great for when you find your self in the wrong lane or to get out of a junction and need the power

Am now thinking about buying another one but would not down grade after having the power but my other driver has the 1.6 GreenLine and says that's spot on for him

I would try them all before ordering

Thanks, good to hear other cab drivers find the Superb decent on fuel / power. My budget for a used Superb means I can only go for a 3 to 4 year old model (i.e. 1.9tdi). Is the Greenline version any better or is it just "window dressing" ?

I also have a brand new Greenline but its only done 2k miles and we are getting low 50's but we did see 66mpg on one run but have been told they need quite a few miles on them to get good mpg

I also have a brand new Greenline but its only done 2k miles and we are getting low 50's but we did see 66mpg on one run but have been told they need quite a few miles on them to get good mpg

With 52,000 miles under her belt, my Greenline Combi 1.6Tdi is returning an average of 65.2 mpg. Granted, a lot of my driving is on motorways and A-Roads, however, this contrasts with an average of 57.6mpg for my last Superb, a remapped 1.9Tdi 105.

I've not experienced any DPF issues, however, my choice for a 3-4 year old Superb would be a non-DPF 1.9Tdi which is pretty bulletproof, but likes a drink of oil (1 litre top-up per 10,000 miles). My 1.6Tdi hardly uses any oil between services.

The 1.6Tdi CR engine is much quieter than the old PD and will far rev more willingly.

For Nitrox with an average mileage of 50,000 miles, I'd say a Greenline II with the 1.6Tdi engine would make most sense from a financial perspective. Variable servicing every 18-20,000 miles is also another bonus for the high mileage driver.

Edited by veloplus