Variable or fixed servicing?

I have a '51 Octavia 1 (facelift) TDI Elegance estate with 140,000 on the clock. It has been on variable servicing from day one with intervals averaging around 22,000 miles per service. However, it is now more than 10 years old and it is due for its next variable service. Is it OK to keep it on variable or should I switch to fixed servicing given its age etc ? I have to say it has been a fantastic car and I intend to keep it for as long as possible so I want to make sure I give it a fighting chance.

Thanks

Martin

Edited by Martin J

This is what's VW have to say about longlife servicing and when its suitable.

If it was myself I would have time and distance service on this age and mileage, as parts will be starting to need replacement and I would rather replace them before they failed possibly leaving me stranded.

It depends on what sort of mileage you do. If you do a lot of miles, stick with variable, but if you do low mileage the oil could end up being in there for up to 3 years, which is way too long imo.

Longlife oil is a lot more expensive too.

This is what's VW have to say about longlife servicing and when its suitable.

If it was myself I would have time and distance service on this age and mileage, as parts will be starting to need replacement and I would rather replace them before they failed possibly leaving me stranded.

Oops forgot to put link in post no 2

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

I would bring the oil changes down to 10,000 miles at a maximum,if your feeling flush 6,000 miles,it won't do it no harm,I roughly do 2,000 miles a year in my vrs and I change the oil and filter every year,I'm a mechanic so it's only the price of an oil filter for me,I collect the oil throughout the year,new oil of course.