Dpf problem and removal

I have a skodia fabia diesel 2010, 1.4 bought new three yes ago. The dealer asked how many mile I do each year, to which I replied 10000. I wasn't asked how I do the miles and the car was bought. My travel consists of 5 local miles per day with a long journey once per month. The dpf warning light has shown every 2 weeks or so since purchase and I then have to head for the motorway, to blow it out! Two days ago three warning lights came on and the car went back to the dealer, they called today to say a forced regent couldn't be done and the replacement filter will cost £1000+! Has anyone had theirs removed, was it straightforward and would there be any mot problems? I do not want the filter and certainly don't want to go through this again in future.

Is this the 1.4 PD? I didn't think it had a DPF! Certainly news to me, so thanks. As to your question, yes, get rid. Don't perpetuate the DPF scam. A friend of mine just had theirs cut out when it failed and when mine does its for the chop too.

Thanks for that., where did your friend go to get his removed? Did he research first? And do you know people who have passed not. Am worried as this car should have pretty low emissions? What's bg244?

Under Regulation 61A of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations Act 1986, it is an offence to modify any vehicle in such a way as to increase the emissions over and above what it was tested and designed for when new. Emissions are particulates or gases. Also, many dpf's are combined with the Catalytic Converter and so you will increase the amount of harmful gases entering the atmosphere if you remove it. That's inspite of any removal firm adjusting the ecu to compensate for the ensuing rough running you will encounter after removal. Just down the road the EU are proposing new regs that will make dpf removal an immediate fail on MOT. If you think about it, it makes sense otherwise the micro particulates emitted from modern high pressure diesels will kill us all if we get large numbers of people doing this. These particulates are much more dangerous than the larger softer particulates from times of old that were relatively harmless compared to modern engine crude. The new regs will affect all sorts of other mods to cars and just about every other vehicle on the road. Many firms offering this service to remove a dpf may be promising all sorts and saying it's legal. But the Government says otherwise. I don't personally know of anyone who has removed a dpf and then taken it for it's MOT to see if it passes. Might be worth some further investigation before taking such drastic action. It will likely count as an illegal mod for insurance purposes too I would suggest. Take care on this one.

Due to new regs in the MOT if the car had a DPF from factory it must be present to pass MOT

The new way to get rid is to have the DPF removed from the car, the centre (honeycombe part) is then drilled/ smashed out which leaves the pipe "straight through" and refitted. When MOT is done the tester can see a DPF fitted (doesn't know it's empty) and it passes.

Most tuners say the car then needs remapping when it's removed

I'll bite.

http://www.legislati...ulation/61/made

Theres the legislation. Please point out where it says its illegal to remove a DPF.

PDFs are stupid scams from manufacturers, to appease silly laws. Diesels smoke a bit if you rev them, but I don't think its particularly good for the environment to:

1) Burn more fuel to keep the DPF warm.

2) Burn more fuel to regen the DPF.

3) Drive in an uneconomical manner to prevent it clogging.

4) Scrap otherwise good cars that are beyond economic repair due to DPFs clogging.

There is also nothing in the new MOT rules that say the DPF must be present. The only similar part is that catalytic converters must be present in petrol engines. If the car can pass the smoke test without the DPF, then theres no problem.

Thanks for this info, lots to think about bit I know that if I can be rid of my dpf, its going! Just out of interest has anyone seen the results of blowing out their own dpf, after the warning light comes on? Some people have said they get a large white cloud out of the exhaust? Have never seen anything like . Could there be a problem with my car? Theres been a lot of surprise that after 30000 miles only, I need a new filter!

I don't think they are a problem if you do , speedy journeys v regularly. I just wasn't informed that my running around town, mostly, would be. And maybe my car hasnt been functioning properly! Mind you what dealer would admit to that when I could fork out over a thousand!