Anybody recommend a laptop?

Harvey1978

Something Samsung I'd say, bought two of their laptops in recent years and can't fault them.

Ipad if you don't want a proper keyboard and want to be tied into itunes etc....

If you need a keyboard you can get a bluetooth keyboard.

I still use a laptop but the rest of the family now fight over the iPad, it comes on instantly, the internet is instant and the emails are also available, just a very simple thing to use.

I am sure other makes of tablets are available

Samsung Series 3 Chromebook £229. Don't forget your 1.5% TopCashBack or Quidco.

http://www.pcworld.c...273050-pdt.html

Someone is going to say "It doesn't have storage for Music". Well, it has Google Music: see http://music.google.com/ - store 20,000 tracks online in the cloud for free (and pay a small amount for more). Then you can log in and stream your music from any internet browser in the world, or the Music app in Chrome OS. Get the Music app for Android and have *all* your music on your phone. Get in the car, Bluetooth A2DP and have all your music there too. Who needs iTunes.

Its a little bit more versatile than an iPad in some ways. It has HDMI out if you want to watch video on your TV, it has USB as well for USB storage, and an SD Card reader for getting photos off your camera. All things you can't do straight to an iPad without a real computer.

It also has tons of Google Drive storage for photos and whatnot. Works well if you are a Google / GMail person and actually want to write emails and documents and actually want to do stuff. If you want to give it to kids to play games and touch the screen, you probably still want an iPad. The best thing about the Chromebook is the keyboard in my opinion, it is really great. Proper long battery life too since it has the same ARM processor as a Nexus 10. The screen is alright. It is very slim, lightweight and silent. Chrome OS is good right now, and getting better all the time with auto updates. Also, it looks like a Macbook Air.

If you need a keyboard you can get a bluetooth keyboard.

I still use a laptop but the rest of the family now fight over the iPad, it comes on instantly, the internet is instant and the emails are also available, just a very simple thing to use.

I am sure other makes of tablets are available

Yes other tablets are available but they're crap :p

Depends on what you are going to be using it for.

But a tablet is not a 100% substitute for a laptop. But whatever you need avoid Lenovo like the plague, looks good, support is awful, and they have no procedures for dealing complaints.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, as it turns out I'm going to have to wait until the beginning of May.

I've seen a couple of nice HPs and Toshibas, but I seem to get drawn to the higher spec models that are over my original budget (time to raise budget me thinks)

And then I still have to decide do I want another laptop or do I go tablet, decisions decisions.

I got a new laptop at Christmas in the sales. It's been used 3 times now, mostly to load stuff on it.

I use the Nexus 7 I also got instead. Quick to load and surf the net and do most things I used the laptop for. Will be getting a BT keyboard next to make life easier.

After talking to SWMBO about the matter, we have decided to go down the iPad route, not really interested in the mini version, so my next question is, what is the difference between the various models and where is the best place to get one, unfortunately my laptop had finally died so I will have to shop around on my phone, which isn't too much of a problem, just a bit slower