Watch a plank break his clutch (and spot the Yeti - near the end)

He was a bit of a nob, but so was I when I was younger so I'll not be judgemental on this one - he wont be doing it again in a hurry (and I agree, hate to see a car break).... Entertainment for the unwashed though :-)

He was a bit of a nob, but so was I when I was younger so I'll not be judgemental on this one - he wont be doing it again in a hurry (and I agree, hate to see a car break).... Entertainment for the unwashed though :-)

I like to think I still am, but doesn't stop me judging others..... :devil:

• Like 1

I used to do burnouts too, when I was a lad. Only it was diffs that I was prone to breaking in all my Datsuns (about 12 diffs all up), until I spent decent money on a good quality limited-slip R180 diff from one of the Z cars. Then I started breaking axles.

Anyway ... as much as I used to love doing burnouts, I would only ever do them in industrial estates, new suburbs without any houses, or on roads in the middle of nowhere. Basically, places were a stuff-up wouldn't kill bystanders, pedestrians etc*

Now I live about 50m from the end of a T-intersection on an incline in the middle of suburbia and as soon as a few mm of rain falls, sure as $hit, all the knobs in their rear-drive cars start fishtailing/drifting up my street, regardless of the hour of day, oncoming traffic, pedestrians walking etc.

If I could click my fingers at every one of them and make their clutch fail like the idiot in the mustang above, I would.

* One year, while watching the burnout competition at Summernats, a flywheel broke apart in an old model Holden mid burnout at 6000+rpm. Pieces tore clean through the chassis in two places, causing the car to lurch upward then structurally slump under it's own weight till it rested on the ground at about the A-pillars. There were 4 holes in the bonnet (which burst off it's hinges) where pieces flew out at an alarming velocity. The safety guardrail beside the track had a neat rectangular hole in it, and a 2-stack thick pile of hay bails behind this was smoldering. 2 pieces of flyweel were found 400m away on the other side of the grandstand containing a few thousand spectators. Amazingly, not a single piece hit anyone. But it taught me a lesson about the energy within a spinning flywheel, that's for sure.

• Like 1

You'll find a fair few videos on Youtube of lowly current shape V6 Mustangs having their drive shafts snap. The V6 models have a drive shaft that can just barely handle the standard engine's torque. Then the boys upgrade the engines to V8 levels of power and never think to replace the drive shaft... With predictable results. :giggle: