Time to sell your 4 x 4

jonceebee

I always like looking at this kind of thing to spot potential bargains - A year or two old S80 could be a huge bargain for someone wanting a luxo-barge :D

I saw one on the forecourt of a local dealer at the weekend. Pre-registered on a 13 plate with delivery miles - £27.5k instead of nearly £40k, and that was for the 215bhp diesel.

Edited by Dr Zoidberg

Not wanting to disagree with Preston Motors expertise, which I totally respect and which maybe 100% accurate in their dealership, but I have been around the "trade" (new and used) all my life. To get 5% off a £20k second hand car car is not uncommon, but only with some good haggling and no p/ex. I have done it many, many times myself, usually more than the 5%. I would not buy a second hand car without starting to negotiate at 10% discount off the screen price, but only if I had no p/ex.

Just last week I helped (negotiated not financed), to buy a car for my son-in-law from a Toyota main dealer. A 2 year old Aygo with 11k miles. Screen price was originally £7495 and dealer had "reduced" to £6495 (I know it's a classic dealer ploy but other Toyota dealers were still asking around the £7.5k mark for similar cars). I went straight in at £6K cash expecting to deal at £6250. Salesman went off (as they do) to confirm with sales manager, and without any haggling said "OK, it's a deal". Blimey - wish I would have offered £5k to start. That was around 8% off so it does show that dealers will deal.

The secret of any successful retail business isn't the sales side but buying. If they've got that car in at a suitable price so they are still making money on your £6k offer they'll have decided it's not worth losing the sale on the hope of a more affluent customer coming along.

The secret of any successful retail business isn't the sales side but buying. If they've got that car in at a suitable price so they are still making money on your £6k offer they'll have decided it's not worth losing the sale on the hope of a more affluent customer coming along.

I know that. They probably purchased (as a p/ex) the car at around the £5k mark.

I remember when Daewoo first came to the UK. They advertised some kind of 'no hassle, no negotiating' type arrangement.

Half the fun of buying a new car is getting a deal....IMHO. I have never paid full price on any new or second hand car

I suspect Daewoo realised this too and they dropped their marketing idea.

However I do suspect that Dacia are selling every single car at list.....well at least for now

I didn't pay anywhere near list price on all three of my last new purchases, but all three of them were cars already advertised with a very substantial discount. All I had to do was discuss the part-ex price to get a deal I was happy with. It does make life a lot easier.

• Like 1

Quite correct 33q and Dr Zoidberg. The trouble with these surveys is they rely on some "trainee" gathering data on a subject they know little or nothing about.

I bet they only log car prices at dealer advertised prices, and not private/dealer actual price sold. Another case in point is the usual Daily Express monthly attention grabbing headline something along the lines of "House Prices at their highest level since 2007". What they fail to mention is, this is based on the UK average of advertised prices, and not actual sold price, and does not strip out the (correct) increasing/high London prices. Strip out London and base the average on actual Land Registry figures, and prices remain very stagnant/decreasing over most of the UK. Figures can always be manipulated to suit - the Government do it all the time.

• Like 1

Although I am one not to believe any reports from the good old Daily Snail 100% I would guess that these are just paper figures as has been eluded to in other posts on this topic.

The real cost is that for the cost to change when a car is part exchanged. So a good PX value (customer happy) against a higher sale value (customer not so happy) is the same as a lesser PX value (customer verging on being upset) against a lower used list price (customer no longer crying).

On paper a used SM price could be quite high where in reality the true price maybe somewhere in the middle. I guess I was quite lucky as my Jana was a show room model with a few extras with very few miles (41!) at a price that was a fair bit less than 99% of new retail however the PX value of my Ibiza could only be viewed as a tad above average.... At the end of the day a dealer needs to make a profit to be able to live. I'm sure my Ibiza was retailed for 1 -2K more than I got but as has been stated the dealer has to look after any possible problems with any in received PX car (not that they would have had any with the Seat)