Reliable air pressure gauge?

oriki

Can anyone of my distinguished fellow forum members recommend a trustworthy, accurate and reliable tire air pressure gauge?

I have noticed that most if not all public air filling places (at least in my part of the world) are not accurate to say the least,forcing us to ride on over or under-inflated tires.Costly on the long run as the tires wear down too quickly.

Any good gauges on the market? I would like to know.

Enjoy your weekend , friends.

btw,are the public air filling points in Britain accurate in general?

Edited by oriki

In the past I had found that the simplest Halfords "analogue" pressure gauge had consistently been the most reliable - much more than any needle-based or digital gauge I had tested against the professional kit in my local tyre fitter. This is more or less what I am referring to:

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_255241

I have a digital gauge which cost about a fiver (Lidl) Seems to work consistantly. I presume its just a strain gauge inside, so nothing to go wrong or out of calibration.

I used the pencil gauges for years but they loose accuracy over time, due to wear or getting gummed up with dust or grit.

My ex worked for a while for a company which repaired and calibrated lots of garage equipment. The chances of a forecourt/garage pressure indicator remaining accurate for long is slim, thats days rather than weeks or months.

The PCL pen type are so reliable,

My Dad gave me the one his Dad gave to him and I took it to work and calibrated it, It was spot on after 60 years.

No batteries and almost indestructable!!!!!!!

Comes in its own case and has a serial number! For a tenner (or less when I got it) its a bargain precision instrument.

Just ordered one and within an hour got a mail to say it had been despatched.

• Like 1

I have this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-69923-Pressure-Gauge-140-04/dp/B006T3137G

Although it can't be called very reliable as it "was a disappointing 7psi out after the metre fall" in the AE test (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/41954/draper-69923#ixzz2PgigMszL), it was one of the most accurate mechanical gauges in another test, with the accuracy of 0.05 bar. Just handle it with care ;)