2.0 TSFI DSG - experiences?

I currently have a Jaguar XF 3.0d but really need an estate and can't justify the cost of a Sportbrake, and was impressed driving the Superb in 170 TDI and 1.8 TSI forms when it came out.

I did have a trawl through posts but couldn't find a lot about the 2.0 TFSI engine. What do owners think - does the DSG work well (wife's Yeti DSG is good but can be a bit inconsistent compared with the XF), how do they perform, what is the real-world fuel consumption, any problems?

Thanks,

Mark

The German magazine Autobild tested a Superb with 2.0 TSI engine during 100.000 km's and afterwards disassembled it (look at picture 8). It performed extremely well and got the highest scores:

http://www.autobild.de/bilder/100.000-kilometer-mit-dem-skoda-superb-3935830.html

And for all of you who don't speak German, an attempt to translate this story via Google translate...

• Like 1

Thanks for the link - "He is strong, fierce acceleration and fast on the highway...." sounds good but not sure about "....galloping also a talented drinker". Hopefully the reduced pace of galloping in the UK might result in something closer to your results.

Any more views?

I've had a 2.0TSI DSG twindoor for just over a year and 13,000 trouble free miles. The Superb replaced a manual Octavia vRS TFSI and I was attracted by the combination of similar performance, a more forgiving ride and some extra toys. DSG was the only option with this engine rather than something I chose over a manual, but I'd say its a good combination with the 2.0TSI engine. I'm happy to leave the gearbox in D most of the time, but S mode is perfect for safe overtaking and manual mode comes into its own on twisty B roads, when its easier to make progress in 4 or 5 rather than suffering constant gear changes in D.

I had test driven the 2.0TDI 170 but didn't consider this as not included in no VAT offer and I wouldn't have got the extra cost back in fuel savings. My average fuel consumption from maxidot is around 35mpg, but I've managed to better 40 when I had time to spare on a motorway run and was cruising at 60mph most of the way.

• Like 1

Interesting - fuel consumption sounds not too far behind the XF, and of course petrol is cheaper. I've hardly ever used the XF's paddles, but often wished the Yeti had them. I suppose with DSG, things go awry when it's guess of the next gear to preselect turns out to be wrong.

Same for me with the paddles. I liked the idea of being able to change gear with hands on the wheel and coming from a manual expected to be using manual mode more often, but most of the time DSG is better than me at knowing when to change.

I'm happier using the gear lever for manual changes as unlike the paddles its always in the same place!

I've had a 2.0TSI DSG twindoor for just over a year and 13,000 trouble free miles. The Superb replaced a manual Octavia vRS TFSI and I was attracted by the combination of similar performance, a more forgiving ride and some extra toys. DSG was the only option with this engine rather than something I chose over a manual, but I'd say its a good combination with the 2.0TSI engine. I'm happy to leave the gearbox in D most of the time, but S mode is perfect for safe overtaking and manual mode comes into its own on twisty B roads, when its easier to make progress in 4 or 5 rather than suffering constant gear changes in D.

I had test driven the 2.0TDI 170 but didn't consider this as not included in no VAT offer and I wouldn't have got the extra cost back in fuel savings. My average fuel consumption from maxidot is around 35mpg, but I've managed to better 40 when I had time to spare on a motorway run and was cruising at 60mph most of the way.

Very interesting..........

I also swapped an '07 Octy vRS for a 2.0 TSi Superb for similar reasons, & I'm pleased with the Superb, but it could never keep up with the the vRS.

No matter, it's not meant to be a "sporty" car, it's a comfy mile muncher & reasonably economical too, avg. 33.5 mpg so far with a best of 39 mpg on a very slow trip from Ongar to Grays yesterday.

I'm more than happy with the DSG, it suits the car quite well & I also have flappy paddles to play with if I want to overide the DSG's programming.

I still have a manual shift car & bringing that back home last night reminded me that it can still be fun to wind up a V6 on a good road, just be prepared for the fuel bills!

I intend to keep it for a while, but the Superb will be the daily driver for the foreseeable future.

If I do want to recall my vRS memories then I can borrow t'other half's car, same 2.0 TSi + DSG powertrain, in a lighter & more agile car.

(Awaiting a remap, maybe later this week. Not sure how it will behave with DSG, watch this space for our thoughts!)

HTH, DC

Hi Mark

I swapped my 2010 3.0d XFS Portfolio in March for the L&K combi 2.0TFSI DSG and have to say overall I think its a much better car than the Jag, the biggest differences being the sound proofing and the interior finish which was pretty much all leather but you would expect that on a car costing considerably less, I specced most of the extras and miss nothing of the Jag apart from maybe the kudos but I soon got over that, the sat nav is much better but takes a lot longer to start up. The ride is much smoother and soaks up uneven roads although I had adaptive suspension in the Jag and 20" wheels

The DSG gearbox is much better than the Jag and gear change is almost unnoticeable I dont have paddles but hardly ever used them and don't miss them as the power is pretty much instant, acceleration is comparable but the front end on the Skoda is very lively and gives too much torque steer under hard acceleration but doesnt suffer the turbo lag of the Jag when pulling off!!!

Fuel consumption after 900 miles is 28-35mpg which is all I ever got on the Jag as most of my journeys are short and around town and obviously with the petrol no 'check DPF filter' which I got on a monthly basis and had to drive down the motorway to clear!

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments so far.

mbeadle - interesting that you find the DSG better than the XF's ZF unit (is yours the 6- or 8-speed?) as I thought my 6-speed was pretty good and pickup excellent - unlike the 2.7d XJ I had on loan which was scarily sluggish.

How do you find the audio? I have the standard Luxury fit but even that is vastly better (on classical music anyway) than the 12-speaker "Sound System" in the Yeti. I've never listened to the Portfolio's audio but you would be well qualified to pronounce on the L&K's 10-speaker setup!

Any more input welcome!

Mark

Edited by mbrock

Hi Mark

I had the 6 speed ZF gearbox and felt the gear change was too noticeable with a slight lurch on harder acceleration, its non existent on the Skoda but i'm never likely to drive as hard as was possible in the Jag, also in normal mode it only ever used 2nd gear to pull away from standstill and many times i would pull off thinking nothing was happening, give more gas then pull away in in a cloud of smoke like a bullit, which was sometimes frightening for me and my passengers who had no idcea what was happening :-) Clarkson mentioned on a review and a friend has an Evoque which does the same thing! btw I'm by no means some sort of boy racer lol

I had the Bowers and Wilkens sound system which was fantastic, I was a little worried about the Skoda as I'd read a few poor reviews on this site but honestly its not at all bad and i'm pleased with sound, you can hear most of the range and has no vibration or rattle even if relatively loud

Mark