Dolphin Parking Sensors Fitted

I wanted to get front and rear parking sensors fitted on my Rapid for the wife. I went for Dolphin Parking Sensors which have a good reputation and a network of approved fitters. I didn't do this one myself as it's a brand new car and I wanted the front sensors to activate with the CANBUS (more on this later).

Thought I'd share some pics and notes for anyone who was interested in this if your Rapid doesn't have the rear OEM ones.

The kit itself I ordered was front and rear audio only, and a CANBUS adapter which would connect to the car's CANBUS and provide an activation of the front sensors when the car was doing less than 5mph and the handbrake was off. This is similar to how OEM front kits work so that they don't constantly beep when you're in traffic/people walking in front of you/bugs on your sensors.

Today the professional fitter came and did the back no problem, but when wiring the CANBUS adapter found that there was no signal from the OBD port for the car's speed. Dolphin did say they'd never tried this on this car but were pretty sure it would work as it should all be the same as other cars in the VAG group.

This left us with a decision to either put a manual on/off switch or install a visual display with a switch to turn the audio on/off, at least then the visual can light up all you like but the beeps won't be bothering you.

The sensors and kit itself looks great, and the installer was a great guy. Luckily he had a visual kit in the back of his van, he also rand Dolphin to refund me the CANBUS adapter on the spot which was excellent customer service. The kit has a lifetime warranty on the parts and the fitting from the original fitter.

Note that if you do order and you have Candy White motor like mine, the website suggests the Pearl White sensors which is wrong, I'd go for the plain white. Also these are the normal size sensors, they do a smaller one (5mm smaller I think) but they only come in black and silver.

Onto the pics ...

FRONT ALL

parking_sensors_001.jpg

FRONT CLOSE UP

parking_sensors_002.jpg

FRONT VISUAL AID

parking_sensors_003.jpg

REAR ALL

parking_sensors_004.jpg

REAR CLOSE UP

parking_sensors_005.jpg

Edited by whoop_whoop

Looks like they've done a very neat job there. I wonder if the lack of output from the OBD port represents a change across the range in future? It's one to watch out for as long term they may be able to make the canbus work after they investigate it properly or talk to Skoda.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I am not sure the Rapid has a full system canbus like the Octavia MK2/3 and Superb MK2, it may only have a partial canbus like the MK1 Fabia and MK1 Octavia which limits what is available on the OBD port. To get speed in these cases, you'll need to find a speed pulse directly from the car wiring loom. The speed maybe present on the OBD port like it is on my Audi, but its sent using a different protocol and not canbus.

The installer was surprised but mentioned another car which had the same ... looks like the OBD port only sends out fault codes. I guess one way to test it is to use a USB cable to connect to the laptop and see if I can get speed out (or use a Bluetooth connection and one of those IOS apps).

• 1 month later...

My Rapid came with rear sensors. It's a shame that front sensors are not available even as an option/extra:( I asked my seller if it was possible to install some original Skoda front sensors which could be aggregated with the existing rear parking system, but no, just third party sensors:/ Not that I need the sensors, but It would look great if it has a complete parking system.

Other thing worth mentioning is the OEM optical parking system only has 3 rear sensors, whereas it looks like these aftermarket sets have 4. Wonder if it makes much difference?

Maybe it depends where you put them. But I'll say one may gain something more with 4, I don't know. :/

Edited by niant

• 2 years later...

Update on this - I had a problem with the display on my front sensors and they sent me a new one straight away. Because I paid for fitting they said I can get the installer to swap it over but after numerous attempts to get hold of him he would never answer. Head office kept saying he was around so I don't know what's going on there.

I've just swapped the car for a Sport but this time I'm looking to get the OEM sensors fitted. There's a few places which can do it, still getting prices. I really want the beeps to come through the stereo instead of a separate speaker and get the radio to mute too when the beeps get faster.