Superb Mk2 Sidelight Replacement

I just had to replace one of the sidelight bulbs on my 2009 Superb. There's a number of posts regarding sidelight replacement but I couldn't find one that specifically covered the sSperb in detail. So I thought i'd share my experience.

1. The sidelight accessible by removing the black rubber cover on the radiator side of the light housing.

2. Howver the space availble once the cover is removed is extremely limited - so if you have big hands this may be more of a challenge.

3. The bulb is a push fit type - yes it really is! No amount of twisting will assit the removal. In fact doing this too much may damage the connecting wires and you really dont want that to happen.

4. If ypou have a good feel around the light fitting you will detect two flat lugs or sides on it. Get familair with these because this is what you need to grip onto.

5. Now you can try to use brute force and ignorance to pull the bulb out of the unit. I found this extremely difficult - actually impossible, because;

a) you may not be strong enough,

b ) theres not much room to actually get leverage on the bulb unit

c) the whole thing is counter to your strong-side hand,

d) your scared that you will break something,

e) you dont want to smash the back of your hand into the engine!

6. Take a breather, and psych yourself for the next bit. You need to keep the faith - but you will be rewarded.

7. Get familiar with the bulb fitting again and turn it slightly so that the lugs/flats are lying horizontally

8. Get a pair of long nose pliars and carefully get the tips under the lugs/flats. WARNING do not grip the wires.

9. Gently lever the bulb fitting. I found that the amount of movemnet required was suprisingly small. It just needs to "give" a little.

10. Voila! The bulb will now either be out of the unit or simply require a gentle tug or wiggle.

11. Do the dance in front of the car, as you the man/woman!!

12. Fit new bulb and test it. If ok push back the entire fitting.

Job done.

Edited by balriddery
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I just had to replace one of the sidelight bulbs on my 2009 Superb. There's a number of posts regarding sidelight replacement but I couldn't find one that specifically covered the sSperb in detail. So I thought i'd share my experience.

12. Fit new bulb and test it. If ok push back the entire fitting.

Job done.

I had a go at changing side light bulbs at the weekend. Got the driver's side out with a bit of grunting, but could not move the passenger side. Pliers kept slipping, brute force not working (as eluded to in post above) - the reflector housing just flexed the more I pulled. I must have caught one of the wires at one point because I had a slither of insulation on the pliers. After checking that the wires/connection weren't damaged, I swore and gave up.  :wall:

There must be a knack to this, will have to try rocking the connector in horizontal position as suggested. I read another post which recommended snapping the clips off when removed so that it's easier next time. Surely not?!

• Like 1

Hi guys, don't forget to spray with a little white silicon grease when re-installing, this always aids when you have to dis-assemble next time.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...

Loop a cable tie round the wires. Slide it forwards until it is over the bulb holder. Carefully tighten the cable tie. You now have a handy tail from the cable tie that you can pull on to extract the bulb holder.