Internal bike carrier question for those who have one!

S1 Exiger

Firstly Hi everyone, newby first post here.

Picking up my first Yeti ( 2010 1.2 SE ) next week and had intended buying the internal bike carrier as will regularly be putting one and occasionaly two road bikes in.

Have searched previous posts and appears those who have the carrier are not particularly impressed, though I'm not sure why. Would appreciate any feedback before I shell out a couple of hundred quid and find I would be better off with a few bungees!

If it helps defenitley intend for bikes to be inside so not a fan of any type of external carrier other than for mud caked mtb's and happy to remove one seat on a semi permanent basis if needed to keep rack installed (for one bike).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I think you will find most people realise they can just put the bike in and tie it down to the luggage hooks with elastic bands WITHOUT having to spend all that money on a Škoda branded bike rack. I've certainly done that (after taking one seat out as you said and removing the front wheels).

You could also just make our yourself as these French Yeti owners did (on the French Yeti forum):

http://www.briskoda....l-bicycle-rack/

or

http://www.briskoda....s/#entry2494236

I've had the internal carrier for nearly 5 years & it has been one of the best things I've ever bought. Please bear in mind, that my comments below may not be relevant if the design has changed (though I don't think it has).

I should first point out, that I generally use mine for holiday trips where I remove all the back seats (don't have kids). You don't need to have any seats removed in order to keep the holder permanently installed as the holder doesn't protrude into the seat area. You do get a more stable set-up though, the more seats are removed (or at least folded forward). This is because the system relies on a clamp around the seat post(s) with straps/hooks going to the seat fixings in the floor - the more seats you have out/up, the wider you can make the base of the 'triangle', & the more stable the bike(s).

For the same reason, the rack may not be the best solution if you want the bikes to the side of the boot, so think carefully about whether it's really for you before splashing the cash.

The internal bike carrier will not work with the spare wheel or the variable floor.

It weighs quite a bit, so for fuel economy reasons I wouldn't suggest keeping it in the car.

It is a good bit of kit and I've had mine for over 2 years, but hardly used it, as I hardly ever take the bike away from home! I generally ride from home. Actually I have only ever tested it works!

I prefer having the spare wheel to carrying the bike, and I don't like having the bike in the back if it isn't properly secured, like to the internal carrier. (That is the insurance assessor side of me speaking:lol:)

The best method is using the Strada towbar mounted carrier, which is so easy to install and remove and folds up when not in use to go in the car. But it is not cheap.

A TapaTalk enabled phone was used to write this...

I'm not particularly impressed with it to be honest. The rubber clamps on the straps are too small to accept the seatpost on my road bike. The holder itself is not robust enough for frequent use. So I now just pop out the front wheel and secure bike with bungees. When funds allow I shall probably get a tow bar like I had on my old beemer.

Thanks for all the feedback, couple of quick questions before I decide please:

Skoda Al Coda - how long does it take to install carrier once you know what you are doing?

andyml - is it the diameter of the seatpost that is the problem or do you have an aero or such like post?

Takes 1 minute or less to install - it just clips into locking points. Fiddling with bike takes longer. I have a round section seat tube not aero. Try to use my Brompton whenever I can or seperated Moulton. Hope this helps :-)

As Andy says, a minute or less.

You have the choice of leaving the whole thing in, just putting it in when you need it, or leaving just the crossbar in place and adding one or both of the fork clamps as required.