Handbrake Cables?

Has anyone recently changed a handbrake cable? Mine snapped the other day and I've been looking at replacements. According to a thread I found, a new reinforced version has been released, but the clips and everything else need replacing too because of the thickness.

The part number on my old cable is 1J0 609 721 AC, and the new one is the same, but ending with AQ. Does anyone have access to ETKA etc, to tell me if I need the new clips or not?

Here's the thread I speak of http://forums.tdiclu...ad.php?t=356506

Edited by rk696

I think the fuel tank needs dropping to replace them.

How did one snap?

No need to drop fuel tank Billy. Easy job to replace cables. Did mine few years back. Simple job actually.

Sent from my Galaxy S3.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, thought I'd give you all a bit of an update on this. Ordered the cables from our good friend Dave Hawthorne @ Sere Motors, and I can confirm they are indeed different.

The latest part number is 1J0 609 72 AQ. It's pretty much the same as the old one, apart from it has a thick plastic sleeve all the way along it, so it's a good 5mm thicker. The ends seem a bit beefier too, which is a bonus. :-) Because of the extra girth (ooh err), it doesn't fit in any of the old clips and brackets so they all have to be replaced. I got both cables and all the extra fixings for £30. Result!

Handbrake is now tight as a nuns.... You get the idea :-)

Oh, and you don't need to drop the tank either, they run either side of it, and fasten onto 2 metal tubes that go behind the exhaust shield. No need to remove anything whatsoever. The whole job took me around 15 minutes, including adjusting it.

By the looks of it, the rubber gaiter at the caliper end had split on the cable and water had got in. I was shocked how rusted the cable was.

Edited by rk696